I've bought some balsa wood....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
 A few weeks ago for the first time in thirty years I bought some balsa wood to build some very basic models with my eight year old.... We downloaded some plans for a Sopworth camel and adapted them to make a model with stick fuselage but it is to scale and I ordered a 3v micro motor off amazon for £1.23
And here it is....
DSC_0140.JPG

The whole thing cost less than a fiver.... I know real modellers will tell me it's not got a correct wing profile to create lift and it's probably too heavy for the motor.... But that's so not the point....the point is the fun we had finding the plans and making it....

Did it fly... Errrrrr.... That's not the point either

midlife

Guru
I used to build balsa models with my dad back in the late 60's and fly (sort of) them at Beverly Westwood.

Great days :smile:

Shaun

ScotiaLass

Guru
 A few weeks ago for the first time in thirty years I bought some balsa wood to build some very basic models with my eight year old.... We downloaded some plans for a Sopworth camel and adapted them to make a model with stick fuselage but it is to scale and I ordered a 3v micro motor off amazon for £1.23
And here it is....
View attachment 103622

The whole thing cost less than a fiver.... I know real modellers will tell me it's not got a correct wing profile to create lift and it's probably too heavy for the motor.... But that's so not the point....the point is the fun we had finding the plans and making it....

Did it fly... Errrrrr.... That's not the point either
That's great - I bet your 8yr old absolutely loved doing that!

midlife

Guru
It was late 70's early 80's for me first time round

Just out of curiosity what did you build? I built control line and gliders but because if the cost of engines and fuel built mostly gliders...... Keil Kraft Caprice and Contest Kits Inchworm were my favourite.

I bought a small balsa / tissue glider to build in the winter. West Wings Merlin :smile:

Shaun

OP
OP
simon the viking
Just out of curiosity what did you build? I built control line and gliders but because if the cost of engines and fuel built mostly gliders...... Keil Kraft Caprice and Contest Kits Inchworm were my favourite.

I bought a small balsa / tissue glider to build in the winter. West Wings Merlin :smile:

Shaun
Just gliders mainly... Me and my brother, we used tissue and dope towards the end.. It was great fun. It used to be easy to buy balsa any size you wanted in a couple of model shops which have now closed, so had to make do with an assorted pack from a craft shop.

OP
OP
simon the viking
Keil Kraft - used to love them. I think the brand is still going under another manufacturer.
I remember that name..... Might look at getting a kit at some point when little-Un...is a bit oldet

Top Bottom