I've bought some balsa wood....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

View attachment 103622

The whole thing cost less than a fiver.... I know real modellers will tell me it's not got a correct wing profile to create lift and it's probably too heavy for the motor.... But that's so not the point....the point is the fun we had finding the plans and making it

The mould is all wrong, where's the correct livery and decals, and where's the gear man!!??

Bobin

Regular
Great to hear of your project with your son , me and my Dad did the same , when I was older he bought me a control line Spitfire with a glow plug engine , it probably had a 30" wing span , he wouldn't let me take it out until I had learnt to fly something more cheaper and expendable . But I didn't listen and I broke his heart when I bought it home in pieces after crashing it beyond repair .

Bob

@simon the viking, be very, very careful here. One thing leads to another, and 20 years later you end up with an attic full of old airframes, more in-commission models than you can maintain and fly, and plans for this winter's build already in hand (Grumman Cougar twin). It's addictive.....

If you want to encourage the lad and see where it goes, try these: https://bmfa.org/Info/Education/Education-Kits. Very highly rated and very cost effective. Can't go wrong. My dad encouraged me a bit, and although I gave up when I grew a bit older, I came back to it 20 years ago when I had a bit more time and got in radio control and engined models. Now I fly this....
1-Auster 008.jpg

9 channel, 30cc petrol engine. 10ft wingspan. Beauty! Took me a year to get from kit to flying.

OP
OP
simon the viking
@simon the viking, be very, very careful here. One thing leads to another, and 20 years later you end up with an attic full of old airframes, more in-commission models than you can maintain and fly, and plans for this winter's build already in hand (Grumman Cougar twin). It's addictive.....

If you want to encourage the lad and see where it goes, try these: https://bmfa.org/Info/Education/Education-Kits. Very highly rated and very cost effective. Can't go wrong. My dad encouraged me a bit, and although I gave up when I grew a bit older, I came back to it 20 years ago when I had a bit more time and got in radio control and engined models. Now I fly this.... View attachment 103653
9 channel, 30cc petrol engine. 10ft wingspan. Beauty! Took me a year to get from kit to flying.
Already got an expensive hobby in cycling.... My brother in law used to race big petrol model trucks.... Then he got married and......

That's a cracking looking bit of kit....

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Just out of curiosity what did you build? I built control line and gliders but because if the cost of engines and fuel built mostly gliders...... Keil Kraft Caprice and Contest Kits Inchworm were my favourite.

I bought a small balsa / tissue glider to build in the winter. West Wings Merlin :smile:

Shaun

If you are keen on revisiting your youth, you can can order laser cut parts for both the Caprice and the Inchworm from:

http://www.belairkits.com/detail.asp?id=553 - for the laser cut Inchworm parts

http://www.vintagemodelcompany.com/kk-caprice.html - for the Caprice

Both gliders fly really well.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Keil Kraft - used to love them. I think the brand is still going under another manufacturer.

www.vintagemodelcompany.com

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Mmmmmmm! Balsa cement and dope. Heady days!!! :wacko:
Used to make and fly gliders and rubber powered free flight (never got as far as needing dethermalisers and all that) and occasionally control line with up to 1.5 cc diesels.
Must have driven the neighbours mad with test runs in the shed at the bottom of the garden!

Already got an expensive hobby in cycling.... My brother in law used to race big petrol model trucks.... Then he got married and......

That's a cracking looking bit of kit....
Thank you. It certainly is. But still looking for a reasonably priced 1/4 scale full-body pilot (Action Men are too small) to sit in the Lh seat. Trouble is, you put in so much emotional investment when it takes so long to build that you only fly it when the weather is really, really right - and not many of those days in a year :sad:

Top Bottom