I've bought some balsa wood....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just the depressing Hobbycraft mega-stores.

I reckon you're right... I was talking to my Brother in law at the weekend and he said it used to be pocket money prices when he worked in a model shop (it closed a few years ago... within the last ten years though) I can't believe its gone up to the prices I saw Monday....

No local model shops to me now :sad: If I'm out and about I might have look in any model shops I see though

I buy my balsa from my local LMS, but I believe that these guys are commonly-used as a mail order supplier: http://www.inwoodmodels.com/index.php?id_category=144&controller=category

You could also try Sussex Model Centre - they have a good reputation.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I buy my balsa from my local LMS, but I believe that these guys are commonly-used as a mail order supplier: http://www.inwoodmodels.com/index.php?id_category=144&controller=category

You could also try Sussex Model Centre - they have a good reputation.

The problem with mail order balsa is that you can't sort through the balsa sheets looking for the C-grain stuff for wing ribs. If the applications are non critical then mail order is fine. When I used to attend the big model contests/shows like the Nationals, Inwoods had a large presence and a huge stock of balsa. I have an estimated ten plus year's worth of balsa stock in my workshop. The problem is that when It's used for aeromodelling the creations take up a lot more space than the sheet and strip balsa ever did. I need to either put a loft extension on the loft extension or dig out a cellar to increase the storage space.

The problem with mail order balsa is that you can't sort through the balsa sheets looking for the C-grain stuff for wing ribs. If the applications are non critical then mail order is fine. When I used to attend the big model contests/shows like the Nationals, Inwoods had a large presence and a huge stock of balsa. I have an estimated ten plus year's worth of balsa stock in my workshop. The problem is that when It's used for aeromodelling the creations take up a lot more space than the sheet and strip balsa ever did. I need to either put a loft extension on the loft extension or dig out a cellar to increase the storage space.

I made the point earlier about weights - but didn't go into the grain issues! And, don't tell me about the space requirement! I have half a dozen semi-retired but serviceable airframes in the attic and another half dozen in racks in my garage ceiling all ready to fly!

Top Bottom