I've changed my mind about helmet threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad at urage

Right, back on topic, I put my helmet on when going to the shops and I decided to use the cyclepath provided by the local council. I heeadbutted the windscreen of a delivery van which was parked on the cyclepath. If I hadn't worn my helmet, I could've been hurt. I then carried on my way along the cyclpath until my front wheel dropped into a drain which was installed with slats in line with the cyclepath and went over the bars again. If I hadn't been wearing my helmet, I could've been hurt. I then proceeded on my way along the cyclepath until I hit a bus stop sign which was in the middle of the cycle lane. If I hadn't been wearing my helmet, I could've been hurt. I then proceeded on my way along the cyclepath until I hit a roadworks sign and over the bars again. Again, lucky I had my now rather battered helmet on. The cyclepath merged with the normal road just at a busy junction and I got knocked down by a car. Lucky I was wearing my helmet. When I eventually reached the shop, I tripped on the pavement out side and fell through the shop window. Thankfully, I hadn't removed my helmet. My helmet was now in bits so I had to buy a new one before cycling home.

So, based on experience, I think a helmet is essential for such a dangerous activity as riding on a "safe" cycle path. I write this from my hospital bed after standing on a bar of wet soap while getting out of the bath and smashing my head up against the bathroom sink. Never again will I take a bath without wearing a helmet. Lesson learned!

You're obviously being irresponsible by riding in that helmet after it was involved in a serious impact: Putting it on your head after you threw it under the table the night before was irresponsible, you should have purchased a new one!

As for cycling on in the same helmet after dismounting! Not once, but (if we are to believe your story) six times!! You should have walked immediately into the adjacent helmet shop and bought a new one before proceeding!!!
Shame on you!!!! I question your mental health!!!!!

Most important thing is to discuss if helmet threads save lives. How many of you would not be here today if not for a Helmet Thread?

A helmet thread saved my life. I was reading one the other day just before I went out on my bike. When I got to the end of the drive, a car had just driven past. If I hadn't been delayed by the helmet thread he would have hit me. I'm never going out again without a helmet thread. You know it makes sense. ;)

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
A helmet thread saved my life. I was reading one the other day just before I went out on my bike. When I got to the end of the drive, a car had just driven past. If I hadn't been delayed by the helmet thread he would have hit me. I'm never going out again without a helmet thread. You know it makes sense. ;)

What more proof do we need!?

Right, back on topic, I put my helmet on when going to the shops and I decided to use the cyclepath provided by the local council. I heeadbutted the windscreen of a delivery van which was parked on the cyclepath. If I hadn't worn my helmet, I could've been hurt. I then carried on my way along the cyclpath until my front wheel dropped into a drain which was installed with slats in line with the cyclepath and went over the bars again. If I hadn't been wearing my helmet, I could've been hurt. I then proceeded on my way along the cyclepath until I hit a bus stop sign which was in the middle of the cycle lane. If I hadn't been wearing my helmet, I could've been hurt. I then proceeded on my way along the cyclepath until I hit a roadworks sign and over the bars again. Again, lucky I had my now rather battered helmet on. The cyclepath merged with the normal road just at a busy junction and I got knocked down by a car. Lucky I was wearing my helmet. When I eventually reached the shop, I tripped on the pavement out side and fell through the shop window. Thankfully, I hadn't removed my helmet. My helmet was now in bits so I had to buy a new one before cycling home.

So, based on experience, I think a helmet is essential for such a dangerous activity as riding on a "safe" cycle path. I write this from my hospital bed after standing on a bar of wet soap while getting out of the bath and smashing my head up against the bathroom sink. Never again will I take a bath without wearing a helmet. Lesson learned!

You were caught on video

Davidc

Guru

That's the most persuasive argument 'for' that I've ever read.

I think you've changed my deeply held views on the subject. There can be no going back now. I'm a convert. I'm going to become an evangelist for the cause.

This is my 'eureka moment'.

I'm now a firm believer ...

That helmet threads should be made compulsory!

jack the lad

What more proof do we need!?

That's not proof, just a bit of luck.

I went out on my bike the other day just after reading a helmet thread and got hit by a car. If I hadn't been delayed by the helmet thread I would have been nowhere near when that car drove by and I wouldn't be typing this from my hospital bed. Helmet threads are dangerous and should be banned.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian

I went out on my bike the other day just after reading a helmet thread and got hit by a car. If I hadn't been delayed by the helmet thread I would have been nowhere near when that car drove by and I wouldn't be typing this from my hospital bed. Helmet threads are dangerous and should be banned.

That's not proof that is bad luck. :tongue:

Davidc

Guru

That's because you were reading an old and therefore worn out helmet thread.

You should have instead been reading a brand spanking new thread. It would have been shorter so you'd have been out earlier.

Standards!

What you are forgetting is that different Helmet threads have differing standards.

A high standard helmet thread will keep you safer than a low standard one.

The Guy above who got hit by a car is a prime example....

He was obviously reading a poor standard of helmet thread, lost interest, went outside and was run over. Had he been reading a higher standard of thread, he would have been delayed and missed the car. An example set so magnificently by the previous poster.

tyred

Legendary Member
They need to run to at least 20 pages.

They need at least a dozen "I wouldn't be here now if it wasn't for my helmet" posts.

They need to mention Australia/New Zealand.

They need at least a few people who say they will stop cycling if a helmet law is introduced.

They need at least someone in favour of compulsion.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
They need to run to at least 20 pages.

They need at least a dozen "I wouldn't be here now if it wasn't for my helmet" posts.

They need to mention Australia/New Zealand.

They need at least a few people who say they will stop cycling if a helmet law is introduced.

They need at least someone in favour of compulsion.

Excellent - Forward this to the relevant EU department :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom