I've given up on my annual target

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
You've got to put enjoyment before targets everytime. If you get obsessed with target's (I've been guilty of it) cycling can soon becomes a chore..It doesn't matter what mileage you do, just so long as you come back home enjoying it buddy.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Used to aim at a hard target of around 4k but have wound this back to a soft target of 3k and find I enjoy the riding more but still normally achieve 3.6-4k anyway but without the pressure. Go figure!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I like targets

It may be what gets me going in that tricky hour between eating my porridge and riding off the drive. During that hour I can always think of a hundred excuses not to go out. Funny thing is as soon as I'm off the drive it's always great
I'm the same.

In 28 years of adult cycling there have only been 2 or 3 rides that I didn't enjoy and that I turned back from. There have been hundreds of rides that I never started though, when I had the time to do them and the weather was good. It is making the effort to get ready and get started that I sometimes struggle with and targets help me overcome the reluctance.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I set an easy target every year and then I don't stress myself out. I have a target of 2000 miles for the year as I know it's doable, even if I only ride a bit. Currently at 1575 or so.

I have been known to alter a target to something that I can hit. Shhh don't tell anyone.

Siclo

Veteran

Nice tale skolly, I managed to get the bike back in the shed, then the adrenaline wore off and collapsed half way back up the garden, having completely ignored all the medical advice and removed my orthotic I'm now walking and managed a whole 3km cycling at the weekend, reckon I'll be commuting by the end of the week. I'll stop derailing the thread now

Top Bottom