I've got an E/trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

The fitting of an electric motor to KMX trike
First hurdle, before I bought the kit I was told make sure you have 135mm between the rear forks check, wheel would not go in panic so had to open up said forks with stud bolt and nuts.
Second hurdle remover cassette from old wheel and put on new wheel easy, well it would have been if my removal tool didn't have a pin OK off to bike shop “have you got a tool to tighten cassette without pin” “no, but we can do it for you if you leave it with us”...................Ahhhhhh...OK
Hurdle No 3 said bike shop, the tool they had the motor cable won't go through the bloody hole you need a special one, as they sell electric bike they are going to get one in for tgheir use, but it could take three day to come and a cost of £20 + (glad I ain't paying for it).
Spent the next few days putting on the rack, PAS and the throttle on so far so good.
Pick up said wheel cassette all tighten up went to put the wheel in....it wouldn't go in disc brake was in the way Ahhhhh.......google can't fit rear disc brake on KMX trike's with motor......shoot Oh well you don't need one.
Then I found the PAS cable too short and for good measures so the the throttle now need thin three core cable.
Managed to jury rig the wiring and everything works OK so I thought I would go for a spin YES it works 18.4 MPH on the flat, need to re-program the LCD.
Did all the wiring today and it works great better than I thought, but I can see myself getting very lazy and just using the throttle.
The so called “special cassette tool” turns out to be an ordinary cassette tool with a 11mm hole in the end that I bought off ebay for £2.50p

Attachments

• etrike conversion 01.jpg
    etrike conversion 01.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 97
  • etrike conversion 02.jpg
    etrike conversion 02.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 79
  • etrike conversion 03.jpg
    etrike conversion 03.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 79

Mrs M

Guru
:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

The fitting of an electric motor to KMX trike
First hurdle, before I bought the kit I was told make sure you have 135mm between the rear forks check, wheel would not go in panic so had to open up said forks with stud bolt and nuts.
Second hurdle remover cassette from old wheel and put on new wheel easy, well it would have been if my removal tool didn't have a pin OK off to bike shop “have you got a tool to tighten cassette without pin” “no, but we can do it for you if you leave it with us”...................Ahhhhhh...OK
Hurdle No 3 said bike shop, the tool they had the motor cable won't go through the bloody hole you need a special one, as they sell electric bike they are going to get one in for tgheir use, but it could take three day to come and a cost of £20 + (glad I ain't paying for it).
Spent the next few days putting on the rack, PAS and the throttle on so far so good.
Pick up said wheel cassette all tighten up went to put the wheel in....it wouldn't go in disc brake was in the way Ahhhhh.......google can't fit rear disc brake on KMX trike's with motor......shoot Oh well you don't need one.
Then I found the PAS cable too short and for good measures so the the throttle now need thin three core cable.
Managed to jury rig the wiring and everything works OK so I thought I would go for a spin YES it works 18.4 MPH on the flat, need to re-program the LCD.
Did all the wiring today and it works great better than I thought, but I can see myself getting very lazy and just using the throttle.
The so called “special cassette tool” turns out to be an ordinary cassette tool with a 11mm hole in the end that I bought off ebay for £2.50p
:becool:
Have fun :smile:

hi mr nuts

sorry to burst your bubble but eapc regulations state all trikes or quads to be braked on all wheels . That is why I have had so much "fun" fitting brakes to our e-trikes ,beware of the plod who has read the laws Inc stopping distances etc of the eapc regulations , you can claim the kit is an after market kit and the new no throttle part doesnt apply , but be wary of the 3 wheels 3 brakes part and the kill brakes work.
regards Emma

raleighnut

Legendary Member
hi mr nuts

sorry to burst your bubble but eapc regulations state all trikes or quads to be braked on all wheels . That is why I have had so much "fun" fitting brakes to our e-trikes ,beware of the plod who has read the laws Inc stopping distances etc of the eapc regulations , you can claim the kit is an after market kit and the new no throttle part doesnt apply , but be wary of the 3 wheels 3 brakes part and the kill brakes work.
regards Emma
That must mean my trike is now illegal (only 1 rear wheel has a brake)

Yay, I'm a rebel.:becool:

regulations always have been 3 wheel with e = 3 brakes . Try a 140mm rotor if the disc rubs on the chain stay , l had to do evil wicked things with a grinder and a mig to get a disc braked ehub in my red 20/20 that even had ken frowning at the artistic cutting and thinning of the chain stay , Kens on the other hand we remade a bolt on adapter that move the position of the caliper outwards.
l cut a horse shoe washer to fit and respace the hub on the Marengo e-trike.

it would have been easier 100 years ago to motorize a penny farthing.

regards Emma

keithmac

Guru
Is your frame steel or aluminium?.

You may need to fit torque plates to stop the motorised hub twisting out of the dropouts (not a criticism by the way just a pointer!).

Nice neat job!.

Top Bottom