I've got an electric bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just found this from Wiki

European Union

[edit] Defined
Electrically-assisted cycles are usually classified as either pedelecs or e-bikes. Under European Union regulations adopted in the UK in June 2003, only power-assisted cycles meeting the pedelec classification are considered to be pedal cycles. The maximum power allowed in the European Union for (pedelec) electric bicycles is 250 W, with a maximum assisted speed of 25 km/h.[sup][17][/sup] To meet the pedelec specification the electric motor must be activated by the rider's pedalling effort and the power must cut out completely whenever the rider stops pedalling. Control of the motor by pedalling is often the key difference between a pedelec and e-bike.

A new European product safety standard EN 15194 will be published in 2009. EN 15194 contains several new requirements for ebikes to be sold in European Union and European Economic Area, including weight and voltage limitations. EN 15194 also defines a specific name for EU approved electrically-assisted cycles, EPAC - "Electrically Pedal Assisted Cycle".

Earlier UK regulations required that the motor has an average power output limited to 200 W (250 W for tricycles and tandems) and weight limited to 40 kg (60 kg for tricycles and tandems). These regulations must come in-line with the EU regulations by (find deadline). For models sold before June 2003, e-bikes conforming to the speed, weight and power limits may also be considered pedal cycles. Electric bikes with higher power outputs, or those not meeting the "pedelec" definition are now treated as motorcycles and require a license.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
A chap I know was seriousdly ill a couple of years back and had to travel to Bristol (about 70 miles) for treatment.

When he was nearing the end of his fortunately succesfull treatment the nurse asked a series of questions, can you walk up stairs ? yes, can you do light gardening? yes, how did you get here today? cycled Slight bit of disbelief initially :biggrin:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I regularly see my neighbour taking her kid to school in the morning. Then she picks him up at lunchtime, then takes him back AND retrieves him after school. He's 15. His school is about 500 yards away. He's fat. His mother is an idiot!

And that is a really sad but all too common story. When my kids started walking the half mile to school on their own at about age 8 and 10 a few people grumbled to me that it wasnt right/safe/legal .

Because they had allways walked they had more street sense than most adults.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
My last few months at primary school my parents moved to the next village a mile away from my school. I and my younger brother walked the mile and nobody thought there was anything wrong with that back in 1967 :becool: .

Adasta

And that is a really sad but all too common story. When my kids started walking the half mile to school on their own at about age 8 and 10 a few people grumbled to me that it wasnt right/safe/legal .

Because they had allways walked they had more street sense than most adults.

I always walked to school unless my Dad happened to be going that way for work purposes (which was rare). I never had a problem. Walking home after school was great - talk to your mates, relaxing walk etc.

sparty69

I did a trial run today to see if commuting on my bike was a viable option for me. It's 17.5 miles each way over the woodhead pass. It took me 1hr 20mins each way, averaging 13mph. It seemed fine, but as a shift worker there will only be certain shifts when I can realistically think about doing it. The only real issue I have with it is that the A628 Woodhead is a very busy road with some big vehicles on it that don't give you much room.:angry:

We were at a bike meeting one night for the Local Council when the London Brighton came up and one girl mentioned how it was virtually impossible to do, and couldn't see why anyone would do it.

One of the older guys mentioned they had done it the previous year, then casually mentioned that they had also cycled from Portsmouth to London and back from Brighton as well!

Total disbelief!

Top Bottom