I've got to make an easy meal.............

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Last night worked well - the crayfish gratin was spot on, but it's all to do with the timing. Tonight, it's a carol service and there's no telling how long it will last. All I know is that Mrs. S will want a decent meal on the table within 15 minutes of us getting back from church.

So..................

Four bits of braising steak (two for now and two for later) four slices of streaky bacon chopped fine, cook the bacon until crisp, remove, and sear the braising steak in the hot bacon fat, remove and sear onion, combine with flour and a lot of red wine, salt pepper and thyme and mustard powder. Get to a bubble and transfer to a casserole dish in a very slow oven.

Vegetables - let's keep that simple too. Red cabbage, roughly chopped with apple and a little onion - also in the slow oven. Par boil some floury potatoes and reserve. Bit of colour? Thin slices of carrot, honey and boiling water - again reserve for latter. Slice some green sweetheart cabbage and put to one side.

Back from church. Remove red cabbage and braising steak from oven. Crank oven up to max while checking seasoning. Dress parboiled potatoes with oil and put in oven to crisp. Put in carrots a little later. Water and oil in small saucepan - the green cabbage should sizzle as it goes in. Then turn it down low, but keep some crunch.

(The red cabbage will keep and be even better tomorrow with some decent sausages)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
:tired:

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
Easy meal, just go to the chippy, nice bit of lemon sole?

Not quite the same as going back to a house bursting with aromas. I'll add some garlic and tomato to the braising steak and do some fried bread crumbs for some additional crunch. I'm toying with sage mini dumplings. Decisions, decisions...........

Berties

Fast and careful!
braised feather edge with root veg and pearl barley,5 hours in the bottom oven,dauphinoise potato and a dollop of fresh horseradish aiolli,thats supper done

Make 'English rarebit'.
Take one chunk of Caerphilly, and carefully lay a slice of Warburton's upon it.
Grill until a mere cinder, then discard for a bag of Walkers. Get another drink. Write a book on cooking...reach for a wider, more appreciative audience to educate. Anything involving a church is fish and bread, right?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Make 'English rarebit'.
Take one chunk of Caerphilly, and carefully lay a slice of Warburton's upon it.
Grill until a mere cinder, then discard for a bag of Walkers. Get another drink. Write a book on cooking...reach for a wider, more appreciative audience to educate. Anything involving a church is fish and bread, right?

Fish finger sandwiches, takes less than 15 minutes and for a bit of finesse, drown them in tomato sauce.

TVC

We had chicken and noodle stir fry. I'm eating light at the moment, I know the gastronomic onslaught I face from midweek onwards.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Sausage mash and beans at Chateau Vernon. My cook's having a pre-Christmas break and tonight's fare is at the boundaries of my butler's culinary capabilities.

@User14044's cook can only make cheese and beetroot door step sandwiches.

Top Bottom