I've had an idea.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
What do you think of this idea. I was going to buy a new Hybrid/Road/Touring bike but I can't really afford it I was thinking that I could convert my bike which looks like this into a new one. I just need to service the cones in the rear wheel.
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/should-have-been-so-simple.90841/post-1631977

The tyres I want to put on look like this.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schwalbe-Semi-Slick-Puncture-Protected-Amber-Wall/dp/B004NOC3VS
And the handlebar grips look like this.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-C...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item19d41c6550

Now when I've realigned the gear will I be turning my 14 year old Concept Conquest Mountain Bike into what I want?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'd say that is a good move if you haven't got the budget to replace the bike.

If you are currently on knobbly mountain bike tyres the change to slicks will make a big difference. Not sure about the amber walls though, the all black ones are listed cheaper on your link and I'd suggest the narrower 1.5" ones would roll slightly faster, but that's just my preference.

From the linked thread it appears you have a 28-38-48 tooth chainset which will give you reasonable top end gearing so with the new tyres it should perform well.

I've done something similar with my knockabout bike which started as a cheap mountain bike. I put on 26x1.75" Continental Tour Ride tyres for a faster, more comfortable ride and when the drivetrain wore out I replaced it with a 28-38-48 chainset and a 13-28 (7speed) freewheel. Add on mudguards and a rack and it's now a nice general purpose runabout.

Good luck with it.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
BluesDave

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
I've already got the mudguards and the rack on it. Would a wheel that takes 1.95" tyres take 1.50 tyres? Mines a 15 speed freewheel and it'll have to do really because its all new.
Amber rims would just look funky and they as Shwalbe after all. All I need now is half an hour to make it so. Oh and my bike out of the Churchyard where I locked it up before the Olympics.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've already got the mudguards and the rack on it. Would a wheel that takes 1.95" tyres take 1.50 tyres? Mines a 15 speed freewheel and it'll have to do really because its all new.
Amber rims would just look funky and they as Shwalbe after all. All I need now is half an hour to make it so. Oh and my bike out of the Churchyard where I locked it up before the Olympics.
Your wheels should take a 1.5" tyre but if you want to be certain Sheldon Brown has a chart showing what width tyre will fit on what rim (scroll down to the section marked "width considerations").

I wasn't having a go at the amber wall tyres really. I've had them in the past but personally just prefer the plain black ones these days.:whistle:

Oh, and the 15 speed will do the job just fine. You've still got a good spread of gears, just fewer steps.

Top Bottom