Should have been so simple...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BluesDave

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
IMGP4603.JPG
IMGP4604.JPG
IMGP4605.JPG
IMGP4601.JPG
IMGP4602.JPG
IMGP4603.JPG
IMGP4601.JPG
IMGP4602.JPG
IMGP4603.JPG
IMGP4603.JPG
IMGP4601.JPG
IMGP4602.JPG
IMGP4603.JPG
IMGP4602.JPG
IMGP4601.JPG
DD are you able to take a photo and post what your brakes look like? or do you know whether you have Vs, Cantis, or Calipers and make/model? Asking because levers need to match.

You asked for photos and here they are. Of all the chain and gear drives, brakes are caliper by the way, I don't like V or disc brakes.

Attachments

• IMGP4606.JPG
    IMGP4606.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
BluesDave

BluesDave

I've got a deore crankset on a square taper you can have for fifteen, hollowtech, its a 44. It's not that hard to do the jobs you mention and if you did get stuck, you have another bike to ride whilst you get it fixed up!

Thanks but I've bought the Crankset of the 48 teeth variety. Please have a look at the photos RAFN asked for I put on as many as I thought would be useful to get the advice I need.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Ok from the photos I think I would tentatively conclude the followings:
1. The BB is a traditional cup and cone one. If it needs to be replaced (because e.g. the cup is pitted, or a new chainset's requirement) then a C spanner and Sheldon's nut & bolt tool are needed. The use of the former to remove the adjustable cup is usually possible unless the cup is made of cheese, the use of the latter on the fixed cup could require some swearing...
2. From the photo that shows part of the chainrings I can't see any broken or obviously shark tooth shaped teeth, and the chainset does not look too bad to me to warrant immediate replacement. But if you have bought a replacement already I would say keep it just in case.
3. The photos aren't close up enough for me to be sure you have a Shimano splined freewheel. I wonder if you could check to see if it appears to have matching slots for this?

ij4UhoCrywQjG19QFc5gv7QavI3nfUTA6R8T18rKd3ApIAYeXvXzdSitXdMwNV9JmBfGIU7EkURRgDO885XlEpQSG0BJRh0YSfhgOZmSkPwkNtuR2uYKc3yx_9GMWIDQgVzoQgnG7PqG6LiBl1a5ihgKupohv5nHPwqhCdTL8Ts0

So perhaps the other question remains is whether the existing BB runs smoothly without play (when the chain is off the chainset) or not.

Sheldon's fixed cup nut and bolt tool description: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html

Chris-H

Über Member
Dave check out Evans cycles website mate,if you have a local one they a do free basic maintenance course and are held in the evenings,you have to pay a tenner to book a place but you get that back when you attend.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
BluesDave

BluesDave

I just wondered why you did not like V brakes or discs?

Well Cantilever brakes have been aroung for a very long time they look strong, they do the job and I have always found them reliable. They are simple sensible things and I feel very safe and confident with them. Also easy to clean and service.

V-Brakes look very fragile and I worry that they will come apart at the bracket, going down Wimbledon hill that could be fatal, they don't look reliable to me at all and I wouldn't feel safe with them.

As for the discs I think they are far too complicated and ridiculous overkill for a pushbike, frankly I don't see the point of them not only that but they are the kind of things I would be frightened to even touch to adjust. They are also ridiculously expensive and some are even hydraulic, that's lorry brakes FFS. They just seem like a way to add unnecessary expense to a bicycle and also a silly gimic to me. The more complicated you make things the more that can go wrong with them.

Well you did ask for my opinion, I don't expect people to like it.:whistle::reading:

screenman

Legendary Member
Shame you have those thoughts as the V brake and the disc offer many advantages in terms of improved efficiency. The V brake is indeed simplicity and extremely easy to work with, whilst normal brakes will wear your rim down discs of course will not, embrace technology.

Top Bottom