Iv'e just bought a speedy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Phixion said:
I was referring to trikes really, obviously they are wider than an upright bike.

Not much, like Catrike says. Anyway, if it's not safe for a car to overtake the width of a trike, they shouldn't be overtaking an upright anyway. They should be leaving a lot more space than a few inches.

If you think you'd feel like an idiot riding one, then you are thinking way too much about your 'image' and not enough about actually enjoying yourself...:laugh:

Phixion

Arch said:
Not much, like Catrike says. Anyway, if it's not safe for a car to overtake the width of a trike, they shouldn't be overtaking an upright anyway. They should be leaving a lot more space than a few inches.

If you think you'd feel like an idiot riding one, then you are thinking way too much about your 'image' and not enough about actually enjoying yourself...:laugh:

Yeah I know cars *should* overtake like they would a average sized car, most don't.

Trust me, I'm not an image conscious person at all, infact I went through a stage of looking like a hippy with long hair :angry:

I just feel that recumbents are for "older" people, I'm 25 atm and would feel silly - although I have no doubt it would be alot more comfortable! I'd love to try one someday though.

Well I popped out and did 43 miles today on my old mans recumbent, I did 50 miles on Sunday as well and no numb bum, seem to be having real problems finding decent hills to go fast on though at the moment, only hit 36 mph today, did get over 30 quite a lot though and used the ferry across the Thames, blog report to follow.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Phixion said:
I just feel that recumbents are for "older" people, I'm 25 atm and would feel silly - although I have no doubt it would be alot more comfortable! I'd love to try one someday though.

I suppose it depends if you fancy kids shouting "cool bike!" as you go by. I don't get the 'older' idea at all, but if that's what you feel, I suppose at 39 I can't argue. I do know younger people with them though. They are'nt just like mobile armchairs you know, some of them are damn sporty!

Actually, on the space issue, you tend to get more room when on the recumbent, because drivers notice you, think "what's that?" and actually pay attention to passing you, whereas on an upright a lot of them just see you, but don't notice you and skim by, if you see what I mean.

Also, having metal hubs as your widest point (on a trike) tends to make them think about their paintwork a bit more than when it's just your shoulders that are widest...

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Phixion said:

You obv. have the wrong impression of recumbents, LOL!

dodgy

But you can't have the 'wrong' impression, can you? I sort of know what Phixion is talking about, I've never seen anyone on a recumbent who looks 'young'. I never felt silly on my Speedy, a little self conscious the first time out maybe, but I honestly think they look cool. Problem is, I'm 42 xx(

Dave.

dodgy said:
But you can't have the 'wrong' impression, can you? I sort of know what Phixion is talking about, I've never seen anyone on a recumbent who looks 'young'. I never felt silly on my Speedy, a little self conscious the first time out maybe, but I honestly think they look cool. Problem is, I'm 42 :smile:

Dave.

I'm 42 and I am young so shut it!:biggrin:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Phixion said:

That's a fair comment in that it is what you think. The reactions I've had to my recumbent would suggest otherwise. A very few people laugh but interestingly it always sounds like hollow, forced laughter and is probably due to them being confronted with something new and not knowing how to cope with it. A lot of kids yell out "Cool bike". Self conscious teenagers look as though they would like to do that but are not sure if the fashion police would permit it. Cyclists who've not ridden one before come over and have a chat and all say that they're going to have to try one someday. Elderly gentlemen who obviously have an interest in things mechanical simply find them endlessly fascinating and will spend half an hour inspecting them and grilling you about them if they can.

Recumbents are no more specifically for older people than road bikes are specifically for asthmatic lesbians or three legged cats. I suspect that what will happen one day is that a suitably "cool" character in a film will be a recumbent rider, the demand will take off and the mass market firms like Giant will start making more affordable ones. In the meantime, don't let considerations of image (which is no more than the sheep instinct as programmed by the advertising industry) put you off. Just get on one and give it a go.

NickM

Veteran
Andy in Sig said:
...A lot of kids yell out "Cool bike". Self conscious teenagers look as though they would like to do that but are not sure if the fashion police would permit it...

And people a bit older than that ride recumbents because they have enough self-confidence not to be bothered what others think!

Oh, and because they are cool... (well, some of them, anyway) ;)

Fiona N

Veteran
I wonder if the reason that recumbent riders seem to be a bit older (than what? Most cyclists of any sort, bar bmxers, around here are mainly 30s -->) is that as you get older you realise that pleasure doesn't mean having to destroy your body. So why stick with an upright when you can go further (and faster) on a 'bent without the sore bum, neck, wrists etc.?

Anytime I think I might enjoy the Etape du Tour, I realise that I'm only thinking about doing it on a recumbent not an upright (been there, done that and it was painful) and part of the pleasure would be proving all the nay-sayers wrong, not to mention screaming past uprights on the descents.

dodgy said:
But you can't have the 'wrong' impression, can you? I sort of know what Phixion is talking about, I've never seen anyone on a recumbent who looks 'young'. I never felt silly on my Speedy, a little self conscious the first time out maybe, but I honestly think they look cool. Problem is, I'm 42 ;)

Dave.

With age........................

comes Wisdom!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
LOL, though I can totally see his point if you start talking about many of the Leftpondian LWB recumbents. That sort of thing will have the style police on your case in minutes.

Top Bottom