Iv'e just bought a speedy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
I gave up waiting for a gap in the weather and went for a wee wet ride round the houses on it. Wow. The taller wheels don't feel quite so 'planted' as the old sixteens used to but it's got a wicked turn of speed. Shame it doesn't have Atom hubs, these Sturmey Archer hub brakes are super shoot. The trike doesn't appear to have any miles on it though it's clearly a few years old, i'm hoping the brakes aren't broken in yet, if this is as good as they get then they really are rubbish.

Oh and I seem to have misplaced my 'recumbent legs'.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I will happily ride it untill you find them Mickle;)
I dont mind, honest:biggrin:

dodgy

I had the 20" wheels on my Speedy with hub brakes, they stopped it on a sixpence. The best braking I've experienced, well at least on par with my mountain bike with hydraulic XT disks anyway.

Dave.

dodgy

Mine had about a thousand miles on it when I bought it I reckon. I think they were Sturmey, too.

Dave.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
Thanks Catrike, I just took it out again for a wee spin up the offy and the brakes were much better after I slammed the beggars on really hard a few times from speed. We'll shall see.

Just because you cannot see the brakes as such does not mean you should not service them.

Night Train

Maker of Things
mickle said:
I feel absolutely no desire to sit and stare at it. I can sit and stare at nice bike for hours. The Speedy just isn't beautiful in the way that my Colnago is or even my old ladies bike.
You are welcome to leave it at mine for me to look at, I would look at it lots and pay it compliments until such time that you wanted to take it out again.:eek:

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
She came home today after a long day of meetings and such, noticed the flowers, noticed the new mirror in the bathroom, noticed that I hadn't had a shave, managed to sniff out the bottle of tequila. Did She mention the Wincheetah SL parked in the dining room of our small terraced house? Did she fukc. Eventually I pointed it out to her, had the whole 'It looks stupid-no it doesn't/ 'surely it's dangerous- no it's not dangerous' conversation and then, to my surprise She sat in it and smiled and said 'ooh it's really comfortable isn't it!' I reckon I'll get Her out in it at the weekend, her legs are just about long enough. :smile:

mickle said:
I was surprised to discover twenty inch rims on it, I know that #002 had them (cos it used to be mine) and that from #003 onwards they had 16" (moulton) rims. It's a better wheel size, less rolling resistance, wider availability of quality tyres but probably not so good round corners. Does anyone know when they changed?

Why don't you? or I can phone mike to ask him? (I need to phone him any way)

You may need to get your riding legs back as I think we have just had our names put forward with ( CH and R Mc G ) for the (3) Brompton World Championship at Blenheim Palace, Oxfordshire on the 28th September?

http://www.brompton.co.uk/bwc/?l=1

Top Bottom