I've just got myself a................

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

Wolf04 said:
Genuine question and not an attempt at reigniting the helmet- no helmet debate. If you are attaching a solid object to a helmet like a camera does that not make the helmet redundant for it's primary function?

Maybe... But I think that the issue is more complext than that.

If I wear a helmet, I get more close overtakes. If I wear the helmet camera right on top of the helmet, I get a lot LESS close overtakes, and mostly the bus drivers in Cambridge (and many other drivers who are wise to what the camera is) treat me better.

I suspect that my chance of accident is lower with the helmet camera. I don't know for sure though.

Either way... I'm going to have a go with a headband now too, might be worth a go.

hackbike 6

Cab said:
Helmet. Then when you're at lights you can check out any interesting members of the opposite sex who walk past.

Who wouldn't touch you or me with a barge pole.;)

BentMikey said:
In fairness, the helmet does this on its own anyway, though I agree that attaching stuffs is a bad thing, generally. In the overall scale of safety, it's probably not worth worrying about when compared with Traffick Skillz (tm) and Commons Senze (tm).

Footage? I don't get a tenth of the traffic conflicts you do mate. (LOL, j/k)

Will you be doing a review of the camera?

hackbike 6 said:
Who wouldn't touch you with a barge pole.;)

They had better not, or they will end up on you tube with the title:

Attacked by lovely looking woman with large barge pole, shocker!

Keith Oates

Janner
Cab said:
Helmet. Then when you're at lights you can check out any interesting members of the opposite sex who walk past.

Don't need a camera for that, using the memory and a little bit of exaggeration is much more exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Well, all the blokes round here are, to put it bluntly are not "oggling material". Mr Plax is of course the sexiest bloke I could find out of the lot, but is very unlikely to be anywhere in the vicinity of my commute, especially as I don't have any traffic lights. I could possibly catch him sleeping on the sofa, which is about as energetic as he gets these days unless he is breaking the washing machine, flooding the kitchen and nearly slipping and breaking his arm in the mêlée. Then he gets quite animated. Now that would have been a good video to catch :laugh:.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Well, I have had a play with the camera. I'm quite pleased with it. I tried it mounted to the helmet, but it weighed the helmet down on one side and I felt like a complete pleb. So I've mounted it to the bike, got a space saver positioned so that it is hanging down from the bars in front of the forks and attached the camera mount to that.
Also made a makeshift mount out of the helmet mount & straps / velcro stuck to the top of the pannier rack. So tomorrow I shall have a proper trial run and mount it to the pannier on the way to work and on the bars on the way home and see how things are.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Well it takes a lot of vibration through the space grip, I did try and put it on the handlebars but the clamp isn't big enough - my bars are oversized. Anyone else found an alternative mounting poistion? What about on the seatpost stem?

Cab

Plax said:
Well it takes a lot of vibration through the space grip, I did try and put it on the handlebars but the clamp isn't big enough - my bars are oversized. Anyone else found an alternative mounting poistion? What about on the seatpost stem?

I'm afraid I didn't find a mounting on the bike that prevented shake, but mounting on the helmet seems to work well. I believe I've seen someone mention a software fix to remove the camera shake afterwards.

Top Bottom