1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've just met the Minister of Defence ...

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Andy in Sig, 19 Jul 2007.

1. Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig Vice President in Exile

... the German one that is, who visited my place of work today and I was presented as the resident, tame, Brit civvy. Loads of TV and normal press there so I'll be watching the local news tonight and scouring the local papers tomorrow.

Anybody else met anybody famous today?

2. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

This may be a question for FM. He mentioned meeting Al Gore and that he's doing a lot of TV work at the moment. :tongue:

3. Peyote

Peyote New Member

Lot of name dropping going on in this forum at the moment, chatting with Al Gore, drinking with Boris Johnson, meeting the German Defence Minister!

Whatever next, popping round to 10 Downing St. for a cup of sugar? Or maybe just catching up with Kylie over a mocha at Starbucks?!?!

:tongue:

Yours, anonymously (just another Pleb!). Peyote.

4. Unkraut

Unkraut Master of the Inane Comment

Right, so it's definitely the Tagesschau tonight then. I assume that is where you will enjoy your 2,3 seconds of fame, unless it was one of these useless satellite channels ....

I once met one of the four original Daleks, but I suppose that doesn't count.

5. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

Whereas over at BR, someone's going to meet his new probation officer. :?:

6. Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig Vice President in Exile

I reckon SWR local news or Sat1. Should be in the local rag tomorrow though. I'm the distinguished looking one in the pale suit.

7. laertes

laertes Senior Member

I met a UK Transport Minister last week.

8. gbb

gbb Guru

I met darth vader once...he's as scary as he looks in the films :tongue: ....my grandson kept telling me....'he's not real grandad' :?:

9. Unkraut

Unkraut Master of the Inane Comment

Well, fame at last? I am afraid I missed all the news last night, taxi Dienst for one of the endless end-of-school-year Fests and then popped back to work (like you do) to get more done before today's deadline.

10. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

You didn't mention to the film crew you were a cyclist did you? They may have pulled all coverage of you from their schedule, then ran an hour long anti-doping special in it's place :tongue:

11. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

hmm... in a previous life: Al Gore, Jesse Jackson (the most genuine politician I have ever met and very impressive - best President the Americans will never have), Ralph Nader, and assorted Congressmen and Senators who are not so well known over here...

In another life, I was friends of friends with guys in bands like Supergrass and Radiohead (before they were both really famous) and occasionally used to have a drink with them. At the same time I knew quite a few well-known figures from the environmental movement in the UK.

These days: plenty of government ministers, politicians, very senior officials, and pressure group leaders from UK and abroad... some of whom are well-known, some important but not so well-known.

12. [sour faced egotistical attention seeking stance]

Hrrmph, you'd be nothing without me, you know...

[/sour faced egotistical attention seeking stance]

:tongue:

13. Mortiroloboy

Mortiroloboy New Member

I once met Willam Hartnell the first Doctor Who, at the time he was battling Daleks and Cybermen, I was so excited, but I was probably only 7 at the time!

14. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

I met Roger Bannister a few times through work, jeeez he really is very tall!!