I've just prepared my will

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
What a bizarre thing to have to do when you aren't planning on dying anytime soon!

I guess mine is fairly simple having no dependents and little close family!

Thanks to @jefmcg for agreeing to take the cat (and a couple of bikes) :cheers:

What a bizarre thing to have to do when you aren't planning on dying anytime soon!

I guess mine is fairly simple having no dependents and little close family!

Thanks to @jefmcg for agreeing to take the cat (and a couple of bikes) :cheers:
Can I have any chocolate and crisps left?

young Ed

Veteran
Imagine doing it unofficially at 16 and properly at 18, leaving school and going right into the army!
i'm 16, not planning on the army though
thing is what do i own, a small sum of money, one or two vehicles and a couple of bikes. more than that it's just bits like clothes etc which i expect would be thrown out
oh yeah, and a couple of sheep. bit awkward but i would rather they go into the flock of a different farmer to who i bought it off!
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
@jack smith Sounds sensible. Although I expect affairs (i.e. finances) are generally fairly straightforward for most at that age (unless an early starter on the sprogging front :wacko: )

My parents have been at me for ages to do it, simply as it makes little sense for them (in their 70s) to be the sole beneficiaries as would be the case if I died intestate. Not so much the case if young and single (assuming there are parents)

I think me being knocked off my bike last year accelerated their nagging :sad:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
i'm 16, not planning on the army though
thing is what do i own, a small sum of money, one or two vehicles and a couple of bikes. more than that it's just bits like clothes etc which i expect would be thrown out
oh yeah, and a couple of sheep. bit awkward but i would rather they go into the flock of a different farmer to who i bought it off!
Cheers Ed
Precisely. It would just go to your parents to deal with

Can I have the sheep, fantastic beasts! :wub:

@jack smith Sounds sensible. Although I expect affairs (i.e. finances) are generally fairly straightforward for most at that age (unless an early starter on the sprogging front :wacko: )

My parents have been at me for ages to do it, simply as it makes little sense for them (in their 70s) to be the sole beneficiaries as would be the case if I died intestate. Not so much the case if young and single (assuming there are parents)

I think me being knocked off my bike last year accelerated their nagging :sad:

My dad has been telling me I should do a will, as at the moment my girlfriend that I have been living with for fifteen would not get anything. I think he has come to that conclusion after I had a couple of serious accidents in the last two years on my bike. Ironic that I ride a motorbike for so many years and hundreds of thousands of miles without getting any broken bones, I take up cycling again and get a neck fracture and a torn aorta within a couple of years. This thread has urged me to sort a will out. I will get the ball rolling this afternoon.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
My dad has been telling me I should do a will, as at the moment my girlfriend that I have been living with for fifteen would not get anything. I think he has come to that conclusion after I had a couple of serious accidents in the last two years on my bike. Ironic that I ride a motorbike for so many years and hundreds of thousands of miles without getting any broken bones, I take up cycling again and get a neck fracture and a torn aorta within a couple of years. This thread has urged me to sort a will out. I will get the ball rolling this afternoon.

I've done mine through the AA, as a home insurance legal cover customer, it's free and they get it checked by a solicitor as part of the service. I assume I just have to get it witnessed somewhere

I'm not sure you're right about the girlfriend if you live together but it's still good to have one

You need to get a couple of people to agree to be executors. A couple of old friends have agreed for me. You can use a solicitor but it costs (more than just leaving a gift of thanks to your mates)

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
So what are you doing with the rest of your estate? Or do the cat and bikes cover everything? (Nosey!!)

Friends, parents, brother, some small charitable donations (I'm sure those would change if I get diagnosed with some horrible disease)

I own a house (with a small mortgage but that would be covered by an old endowment if I cark it before paid off), a car, and lots of stuff it seems!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Unless circumstances are particularly complicated, or likely that things might be contested, then just do your own. You can download a template or just write what you want to happen...get a couple of people to witness your signature and you're good to go.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Unless circumstances are particularly complicated, or likely that things might be contested, then just do your own. You can download a template or just write what you want to happen...get a couple of people to witness your signature and you're good to go.
Indeed I just used the AA's template. Asks various questions I think you wouldn't even think of normally! Like what happens to the estate if all the beneficiaries die before you! I've left provision for it all to go to a charity of the executors' choice (don't want it going to the government!) I think if it goes to charity, there's no IHT to pay either!

Top Bottom