Ive not seen these before

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I visited my lbs today and was looking at a Focus CX bike. The bike was fitted with a light in the bar end which I have never seen before. It was very bright. A pretty neat idea I thought.

20141211_155044_zpsp7vrx6ew.jpg

20141211_154853_zps0efkwayc.jpg

20141211_154845_zpsythgfqib.jpg

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
They have been around for ages, not particularly popular though, quite possibly because they aren't so visible from behind with a rider on the bike as they are obscured by the rider. Not the worst idea though.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Maybe they could be angled out slightly sideways and coloured amber, like the lights on the sides of cars?

I think you would still need to be coming alongside to see them but that might make them more effective than they currently are. The problem is that a riders bars are about the width of their legs, so from behind they will be mostly obscured regardless of the design. As you pull alongside they become visible, but of course are not optimised for this angle, so it is a bit of a waste. I suppose if they were as you say, optimised from slightly sideways viewing, then at least they would be better in this context, but they will simply never be that good from behind. That said, they are not intrusive, so if you get some at a reasonable price, why not...

I thought the seat rail mounted light was more interesting - looks very compact

Is it a Fizik saddle? You can pop the logo out of the back of them and then attach various accessories.

wisdom

Guru
I saw some on a bike the other morning.It was about 0530 and pitch black.They were very effective and he had a normal rear light as well.
Really showed up well.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I quite liked the Schwalbe, White wall chunky tyres as well.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I think fizik do a saddle/light system like that.

They throw rocks at Dread Pirates as well :thumbsup:

image.jpg

.stu

Über Member
I've got Tacx ones that have a front light too - not usable on their own, but they do help define the width of my bike and also they seem to cause drivers to slow down because they're not sure what they're looking at.
Only advice I can give is don't try and screw them in tight as the threads are made of plastic.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
They're too confusing for approaching traffic i reckon. If you don't use a standard rear light alongside them then your bike will appear further away than it is resulting in you being hit from behind.

Top Bottom