Jacking it all in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Kickbikes do not have a UK dealer.

http://www.kickbike.com/index.php?mid=92

Huge in Scandanavia, Holland, Germany, USA, Australia.

Unheard of in the UK.

Really? Every second kid seems to have one, just the wheels are a wee bit smaller... :smile:

micro_scooter_bullet_1.jpg

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've only been into the Mud Dock a couple of times and they wouldn't be top of my list of places to look for something. They are a showy looking place which dosn't necessarily look as though it has lots of stock. My LBS is the opposite, completely jam packed, with old cabinets piled high with various bits (noticed a huge pile of spokes the last time I was in there - a place you discover something new each time) - a gap about 1 meter wide from the door to the counter (with the sides of the gap raised to display bike on and to lean your bike against whilst waiting to be served). Went in to buy something this week and was talked into spending less. They are not the cheapest place in the world, I go back there for the excellent customer service.

A recent addition to the bike shops in Bristol is the one in Stokes Croft that I can't remember the name, nor have I been in, but the display of fixed wheel bikes in the window is usually eye catching. I would go in if I was in the market for one of those bikes.

But there is another in Stokes Croft (well actually two but one I'm mentioning here), is the Bristol Bike Project which seems to have a different philosophy to the average bike shop.

All of those bike shops in my opinion (including Mud Dock), have found a niche (how else could you have 3 bike shops within 200 m of each other in the case of Stokes Croft as they are not in direct competition with each other), I've no idea how successful they are on the balance sheet.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I have thought long and hard about winning the lottery and have come to the conclusion i am never going to win it due the odds stacked against me.
Three years ago one of the lads at work won 6.8 million, so what are the odds of two people from a work force of 15 winning millions in separate wins , i would have thought to large to contemplate.

Anyway , should i win i have it all worked out.

1. i would set up a shop in a small village just outside York (dont want to many customers as that would distract from the enjoyment of lazy days)
2. Would have an open plan shop with bike workshop to the rear , bike showroom to the front intermingled with big leather chairs to sit and relax eating cake and drinking tea whilst looking at the world go buy and admiring the shiny bikes for sale, and to finish the shop off, a hairdressers chair on the other side.
3. So you can be looking at bikes , eating cake and getting your hair cut all in one place.
2. To pass the days away i would buy sad bikes off ebay and in the open plan workshop restore them to there former glory before putting them in the showroom (no prices as not to bothered about actually selling them)

Lastly to make it perfect the wife would run off with the milkman and Christina Applegate (Kelly bundy from "Married with Children) would walk into my shop telling me she loves restoring 70's road bikes to the former glory , cutting hair , and serving tea and cake, and that she wants to marry me.

Oh dear life is good

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
RecordAce..............I know you are only joking but thie Kickbike is becoming huge on mainland Europe and other places around the world. There are some disadvantages being stuck out there on that island and one of them is you can lose touch with what is going on in the rest of the world. :tongue:

The Kickbike suggestion is a serious one and could be a good starting point for someone wanting to get into the bike business but without having to give everything up to try it.

I would not fancy doing 64kph down a hill on those wheels either.

Steve

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
How do you make a small fortune in the bicycle trade? Start off with a large fortune.
Hence I'm only going into the trade if I win the lottery and have money to burn!

Top Bottom