Jaguar 4x4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For most that buy an SUV the image they believe it gives them, as in @just jim campaign. If they actually made an honest list of what they needed chances are it would come out as an MPV, similar bodyshell but with more space no 4x4,better fuel consumption. It's a vanity choice and their money.
Doing the list thing on Autotrader when we bought the car a lot of the results were SUVs. We live in a city, we use roads to go to the shops. Sense prevailed and we bought a Skoda Roomster.
I don't think many people deny it's a status thing. Some people only buy on functionality. Good luck, I admire you.

But a £3 watch works just as well as a £100 watch. A £1 t-shirt from the market will work just as well as a £10. How many of you spend more than is necessary? Quite a few I'd wager

Ah, but cars are not a few quid, they cost tens of thousands. To some, they can afford that. There is a market for it, clearly.

[QUOTE 3477727, member: 45"]I think many people do deny it's a status thing, and pretend otherwise. You commonly hear all sorts of "practicality" arguments - we need the size, it's safe for the children etc- when an estate is the same or better. I know someone who lives on a steep hill in a semi-rural area and has a Q7 with low-profile, wide tyres. His argument is that he needs a 4x4 so he can get up the hill when it snows. Ignoring the fact that that's happened once in the 3 years he's owned it, it's not going to be any better than a decent "normal" car with a set of winter tyres on.[/QUOTE]
Well, we're all suckers for the adverts. The adverts tell us so. I don;t believe anyone is immune to all advertising else again, noone would buy anything other than bare minimum which in mostly cases do the job just as well.

I read somewhere that advertisers spend around £300 a year on tv adverts for each viewer on the economics that it pays much more in return. That is, like it or not, on average you'll spend well over £300 on stuff you wouldn't have done if you hadn't seen the adverts. Mist of subliminal of course. You stand in Lidl and you eye stops at a brand you recognise rather than than buying it because of an advert you saw.

Cars are no different. People buy into the lifestyle it offers. We all do it. Some people just don;t do it with cars due to the high ticket of the item. Again, some people can afford it and treat it as any other item they might buy.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Like I said, any clown can drive them in a straight line.

On a proper test (track) it's just a lump of turd, hence not sporty.

I don't think the 'Sport' in the name refers to how sports-car-like it is. It's more to do with lifestyles - you can go huntin', shootin', fishin' and boatin' in it. Does school gate parkin' count as a sport?

400bhp

Guru
Well, we're all suckers for the adverts. The adverts tell us so. I don;t believe anyone is immune to all advertising else again, noone would buy anything other than bare minimum which in mostly cases do the job just as well.

I read somewhere that advertisers spend around £300 a year on tv adverts for each viewer on the economics that it pays much more in return. That is, like it or not, on average you'll spend well over £300 on stuff you wouldn't have done if you hadn't seen the adverts. Mist of subliminal of course. You stand in Lidl and you eye stops at a brand you recognise rather than than buying it because of an advert you saw.

Cars are no different. People buy into the lifestyle it offers. We all do it. Some people just don;t do it with cars due to the high ticket of the item. Again, some people can afford it and treat it as any other item they might buy.

Actually, no you may not spend any additional money at all, it's just your money gets diverted to those that advertise.

But I'm bring pedantic and, overall, I agree with you.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
[QUOTE 3477466, member: 9609"]higher view point allows you to enjoy the countryside you are driving through more, I don't have 4x4 but I regularly drive a lorry - and I just hate being in my wifes low car not being able to see over the hedges and walls. Also much nicer sitting position, traditional cars have this horrible sitting position with the legs straight out in front, 4x4s, vans, trucks, you get a proper comfortable chair to sit on.[/QUOTE]
In MPVs too. We got one recently, and it's smaller, footprint wise, than our old Estate. It feels roomier (I think) b/c we're sat more upright, so not needing so much legroom directly in front of the seats. As good for carting bike stuff, and dogs about too, which is my principal concern when buying. We did look at a couple of SUV type things, and they were, in our price range, godawful in terms of luggage space, and occupant space.

The 6.5" extra width is unwanted imo as it still wouldn't be wide enough to comfortable sit three adults across the back seat and most of that is probably used up by the airbags in the doors etc.

Most of the extra weight is probably due to crash protection and also extra standard equipment like electric windows that some people think are essential but I can happily live without.
True, crumple-zones, extra air-bags, upgraded suspension componants to manage the extra weight, it all adds up

Visibility is another factor in most modern cars;
- Thicker windscreen pillars (A-posts) to allow for roll-over protection
- B pillars (door posts) for same reason, & possibly airbags?
- C- pillars, as part of rear impact protection (to stop roof folding, pillars absorb energy?
- High door lips, I'm not that tall, but not a midget either, at about 5'9", & there are some cars (even with seat at highest setting), I struggle to easily put an elbow on the window sill - let alone look out of it if required, say; for reversing
My Landies (using my last 110 as an example) had a door lip, at not much above waist height, brilliant for visibility & 'airiness'

I've never even sat in 208 but I would expect it to be quieter and more refined, a more modern engine and sophisticated fuel/ignition systems and improved aerodynamics have probably improved the fuel consumption but probably not by much in the real world. So probably a reasonable update and progress.
Yes, we had (as a 2nd car) a '61 plate' Fiat Panda, with the 1.0 litre engine
It was gutless, wouldn't easily hold speed up a m-way incline in 5th, returned 35MPG urban.
if you wanted to 'make progress', you had to drive it like an Italian; rev the hell out of it, & hold gears

It was replaced recently with the (new shape) '64 plate' Panda; same engine, bigger, heavier, but more economical, more flexible in its speed/gearing (despite same ratios)
The ECU must have been re-written/augmented???

However, I would still prefer my 205. It's DIY friendly and simple to maintain, light weight, high ground clearance and narrow tyres make it more usable in the snow or in the fields so it suits my needs. It's also probably more fun to drive. Sure, it's more dangerous should I wrap it around a tree but I try my best not too, unlike some drivers I see :smile:
I'll agree, my mother has an old Corsa (dads offered to buy her a new one, but she says it works, & "doesn't owe her anything after 17 years, so why spend money?")
It's a 'R plate' (1997) 1.0litre, on 145 x 13 tyres, & I've driven it in the snow, passing the fancy SUV's sitting there spinning tyres (despite fancy ATC electronics), because it's light, 'bugger all power/torque', can dig into the snow

I know my Octavia can do the same, just let it plod along, with the feet off the throttle

I've also (when I've had Landies) done the same; driven past the wheel-spinning Range Rover 'Sport' (horrible things), Shoguns, etc.... because I've had proper rubber on it - not fashionable 'rubber band' tyres

Once more this year, it'll be interesting to see how many owners of 'premium 4x4's/SUV's get caught out again, due to their pure belief in either the vehicle, or the electronics, or maybe their superiority due to driving that??
The laws of physics still apply, it may set off easily, but cornering & stopping still rely on 4 patches of rubber

Last edited:

mustang1

Legendary Member
I don't think many people deny it's a status thing. Some people only buy on functionality. Good luck, I admire you.

But a £3 watch works just as well as a £100 watch. A £1 t-shirt from the market will work just as well as a £10. How many of you spend more than is necessary? Quite a few I'd wager

Ah, but cars are not a few quid, they cost tens of thousands. To some, they can afford that. There is a market for it, clearly.
I find the fitting of a cheap T-shirt different to that of a pricier one. Well, especially a £1 T-shirt. Maybe I'm just too fat.

mustang1

Legendary Member

I've never seen a Ferrari advert on tv before.

I've never seen a Ferrari advert on tv before.
Nope, tv adverts is for generally mass marketing. Ferrari will advertise plenty in luxury print, corporate events etc etc.

MarkF

Guru

There is huge difference in t-shirt quality available, you cannot buy a decent t-shirt for £5, never mine £1, the unit next door to mine is a screen printer. My £100 O&W let's me dive on holiday, a £3 watch won't, my touring Casio watch has a good barometer and gives me altitude and temperature, a £3 watch won't provide that.

tyred

Legendary Member
There is huge difference in t-shirt quality available, you cannot buy a decent t-shirt for £5, never mine £1, the unit next door to mine is a screen printer. My £100 O&W let's me dive on holiday, a £3 watch won't, my touring Casio watch has a good barometer and gives me altitude and temperature, a £3 watch won't provide that.

Yes but you're paying extra for features you need to suit your lifestyle.

Most people don't need a barometer, an altimeter or thermometer and don't go diving so would get by with a £3 watch.

Top Bottom