Jaguar 4x4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Yes but you're paying extra for features you need to suit your lifestyle.

Most people don't need a barometer, an altimeter or thermometer and don't go diving so would get by with a £3 watch.

But I can't get similar for £3 which was the point, a £3 watch does not work as well as a £100 watch. It's nonsense, there are reasons why a watch costs £100 even without diving, temp or barometer features. They are not the same thing.

screenman

Legendary Member
What is the point of getting by using cheap when somebody has enough disposable to buy quality. Surely the £3 watch is the £80 full suspender. Which not many of us use.

Choice, brilliant thing to have.

Nobody regrets buying quality.

tyred

Legendary Member
But I can't get similar for £3 which was the point, a £3 watch does not work as well as a £100 watch. It's nonsense, there are reasons why a watch costs £100 even without diving, temp or barometer features. They are not the same thing.

I would say you could get a similar watch. It mightn't look as nice or last as long but it will work just as well.

Leaving any features or gadgets aside for a second, I (and probably the majority of the world's population) want a watch primarily to tell me what time it is. My basic £10 digital Casio does that much just as well as a Rolex.

My Grandfather repaired clocks and watches for a living, my uncle is a time-served watchmaker, I grew up surrounded by clocks and watches, have quite a few old clocks and watches lying around (mostly working) have dabbled in clock repair myself on many occasions, I can and do appreciate a fine clockwork movement and the skill and engineering that went in to making it. I can and do appreciate the superior quality cases and straps on expensive watches. I am not saying that a cheap watch is as good in terms of quality or will last as long as an expensive watch, but it still does what I want - i.e. tell me the time.

It is true that there was a time when cheap watches were inaccurate and unreliable but quartz movements have meant that that is no longer the case. A cheap watch carries out it's most basic function just as well as a £100 watch nowadays. If you want and can afford to pay and get enjoyment from owning a better watch that looks better and has a gold case or whatever, that is fine by me, it's what choice and free market is all about. I could afford a better watch but choose not to as my cheap watch tells the time just as well and I don't need to worry about breaking or losing the thing as it's easily replaceable.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
[QUOTE 3477727, member: 45"]I think many people do deny it's a status thing, and pretend otherwise. You commonly hear all sorts of "practicality" arguments - we need the size, it's safe for the children etc- when an estate is the same or better. I know someone who lives on a steep hill in a semi-rural area and has a Q7 with low-profile, wide tyres. His argument is that he needs a 4x4 so he can get up the hill when it snows. Ignoring the fact that that's happened once in the 3 years he's owned it, it's not going to be any better than a decent "normal" car with a set of winter tyres on.[/QUOTE]

I live two thirds of the way up a very steep hill. Winter tyred 'normal' cars can't make it up (my wife's car for instance) when there is snow down. 4x4's romp up.

The only advantage of winter tyres on my wife's car is that if you come down the hill from the other direction in snow it is possible (albeit hairy) which is def' not the case with normal tyres.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
It's got very little to do with money. Its all about DESIGN. You can buy a well designed cheap watch. There are some (IMO) hideous very expensive watches. The same applies to cars. Agree some people want to flaunt their wealth, and a Porsche Cayenne might do this very effectively, but its still visually offensive to me. Perhaps I'm visually oversensitive, having benefited from an Art School Design education, and having spent my working life in Art and Design, education and practice - but IMO of course ;)

I live two thirds of the way up a very steep hill. Winter tyred 'normal' cars can't make it up (my wife's car for instance) when there is snow down. 4x4's romp up.

The only advantage of winter tyres on my wife's car is that if you come down the hill from the other direction in snow it is possible (albeit hairy) which is def' not the case with normal tyres.

OK I think we have found one person who may have a good use for a 4x4 on a few days of the year.

My brother in law drives a (rear wheel drive) BMW 320 on his daily commute over the Peak District to Sheffield. All he does it put winter tyres on it and it is used all winter in all snow and he regularly passes "stuck" 4x4s when there is a bit of snow.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
OK I think we have found one person who may have a good use for a 4x4 on a few days of the year. Pretty exceptional year granted but we do get a fair few days most year. Due to the big hills here we don't need much snow, or more likely ice, to cause significant problems. On Thurs this week we had frozen hailstones covering a local hill (although oddly ours was ok) and three cars had made the attempt to get up and had slid back down - all were damaged.

My brother in law drives a (rear wheel drive) BMW 320 on his daily commute over the Peak District to Sheffield. All he does it put winter tyres on it and it is used all winter in all snow and he regularly passes "stuck" 4x4s when there is a bit of snow.

Last week Nov 10 to first week Jan 11 (around 40 days) we had continuous snow and ice cover to the road in/out of the village.

I do accept that there are lots of people that do not need a 4x4 for the traction etc but in some parts of the country they are nigh on essential.

Sadly we do not have any access to council gritting - we are too far down the graded priority list to warrant anything from them. We have a couple of grit cellars that the local parish council organised and we all chip in for refilling but they don't go far esp' with extended snow conditions.

We also have the problem of houses (inc' ours) having rough farm tracks leading up to them and they are really difficult to keep clear as the holes get full of thick ice etc. Even if we did have access to council gritting for the road they wouldn't do the tracks (fair enough too - not their responsibility)

We can just about cope with snow socks or snow chains on our front wheel drive car although much above 6" of snow the bumper acts as a snow plough and brings the car to a halt and damages the bumper. Some of the people further up the valley suffer even more and without 4x4's and some decent ground clearance they would be marooned.

screenman

Legendary Member
Cannot see any reason to justify to a stranger what you decide to spend your own money on. A lot of people I know who do not want an expensive bike, car or watch etc. cannot afford said item, it is way of making themselves feel better about the situation. I am sure I often do the same.

MarkF

Guru
Leaving any features or gadgets aside for a second, I (and probably the majority of the world's population) want a watch primarily to tell me what time it is. My basic £10 digital Casio does that much just as well as a Rolex.

Leaving any features or gadgets aside for a second, I (and probably the majority of the world's population) want a bicycle to primarily get me somewhere. My basic £99 Asda bike does that much just as well as a Pinarello. ^_^

It's got very little to do with money. Its all about DESIGN. You can buy a well designed cheap watch. There are some (IMO) hideous very expensive watches.

It is not ALL about design (aesthetics), I buy sometimes buy watches for their particular features, the design means nothing to me, couldn't care less, it's a tool. On the other hand I sometimes buy watches purely for their aesthetics, this is my favourite, the movement is drab but the design is beautiful.

atlantic.jpg

Last edited:
This is my point though. Many jumping on saying their cheaper car is better suited for the job than a more expensive car so anyone buying one is a fool.

I bet you anything each one of these posters have bought something that could be bought far cheaper that does the job just as well.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
- because the Andrex does a better job - softer, and more absorbent - its designed for the function that I assume your referring to.

Top Bottom