Jaguar 4x4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I took 2 zantias up to 190,000, what does that mean.

Must have been a very high cliff you pushed them off.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Some were awful, many were very good, the diesels brilliant. I used Citroens for work for about 17 years superbly reliable and cheap to run.

A lot of the horror stories come from people who never owned one.

I have very bad memories of a BX19 Gti 16v - brand new company car. Absolute piece of cack.

It had rattles from the dash.

It had rattles from the doors.

It had rattles from the seats.

The tailgate rattled.

The rattles had rattles.

The hydraulics left the suspension flat on three occasions. Third time it was finally cured of collapsing but thereafter groaned like a Man'o'War.

The engine developed a misfire at about 4000 rpm - after umpteen attempts this was cured only for the engine to die, the day after it came back from the garage, at 50mph on a B road leaving me 30 miles-ish from nowhere. Not good when mobiles were still awaiting their coming to the masses.

It then had persistent starting problems.

The instrument cluster gave up the ghost.

Paint peeled off the bonnet.

However, it was fairly rapid!

Fortunately I had only had the ghastly heap of Froginess 6 months when I was promoted and climbed into something much nicer from The Germans

screenman

Legendary Member
Spokey, it did go well though.

Not wanting to get at anyone who owns a car like this but I am really interested in why you choose a SUV rather than a large estate car or hatch.

I go with the Estate car option. Reasons-
I don't drive across ploughed fields so don't need 4 wheel drive.
I tow a caravan with it perfectly well.
It has more room inside than most SUVs
It uses about a quarter less fuel than a SUV
It has a lower centre of gravity and so sits lower, is more sporty and smooth.
It has much better safety features than most 4x4s.
It costs less to service, tyres cost less.
It is made to drive on the road - which is what I do, not made/compromised to do something I don't need it to do.
It is safer on the road for bikes and other road users who can be seen around me better.

So why go for an SUV?
I can only think of -bullying presence on road.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Not wanting to get at anyone who owns a car like this but I am really interested in why you choose a SUV rather than a large estate car or hatch.

I go with the Estate car option. Reasons-
I don't drive across ploughed fields so don't need 4 wheel drive.
I tow a caravan with it perfectly well.
It has more room inside than most SUVs
It uses about a quarter less fuel than a SUV
It has a lower centre of gravity and so sits lower, is more sporty and smooth.
It has much better safety features than most 4x4s.
It costs less to service, tyres cost less.
It is made to drive on the road - which is what I do, not made/compromised to do something I don't need it to do.
It is safer on the road for bikes and other road users who can be seen around me better.

So why go for an SUV?
I can only think of -bullying presence on road.

That's pretty much spot on. Whilst fair enough to get a 4x4 if you're towing horses / diggers or indeed, driving across ploughed fields, or living in somewhere genuinely snowy like Wester Ross. Buying a 4x4 because (and this is a quotation) "I live in the Cotswolds" is just nuts. Apparently some of the Krautwagons need expensive cooling system upgrades merely to tow at all - a landy just needs a tow bar and will then happily tow a house.

That said, I'd love a landrover like this one :

101.png

KneesUp

Guru
I have an MPV - a Citroen one no less - it's better for luggage and people because of the height. You can fit 3 bikes, 3 people and 3 people's luggage for a long weekend inside it, because the bike go upright. There are some arguments in favour of the 'taller' vehicle design, but not much in favour of the 'heavier and fatter' design of most SUVs.

That said, AWD can be useful, you just don't need it to be atached to a massive car. I believe that Panda 4x4s are popular amongst people who work in ski resorts, for example.

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't like this type of vehicle either but can see a few potential advantages, I would like the higher seating position, th extra height inside should make them more practical and spacious and the extra ground clearance is useful for those of us who live the country.

However, I still believe Renault had the practical "do anything" car car sorted c1963 when they introduced the 4TL.

KneesUp

Guru
I don't like this type of vehicle either but can see a few potential advantages, I would like the higher seating position, th extra height inside should make them more practical and spacious and the extra ground clearance is useful for those of us who live the country.

However, I still believe Renault had the practical "do anything" car car sorted c1963 when they introduced the 4TL.
And again with the Kangoo Trekka. A more practical and more efficient 'SUV' with the AWD but without the price or the 'image' If you want lots of room and some off-road ability, this is the car.

316.jpg

Top Bottom