Jaguar Land Rover trialling safety system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
That taps drivers on the shoulder to warn of cyclists
xjaguar-land-rover-bike-sense-1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.jpg
Jaguar Land Rover is trialling a new advanced safety system to help warn drivers of nearby cyclists and motorcycles in a number of unique ways, including making sounds like ringing bells and physically tapping drivers on the shoulder.

The technologies form part of the British luxury car maker’s ‘Bike Sense’ project that is currently being conducted at its Advanced Research Centre in the UK.

Sensors on the car will detect bicycles and motorcycles and aim to make drivers aware of a potential hazard before they see it using unique lights, sounds and sensations rather than generic warning icons and buzzes.

To help drivers know where a bike is in relation to their vehicle, the car’s audio system will make a sound like a bicycle bell or a motorcycle horn through the speaker nearest the rider.

When a bicycle or motorcycle is approaching from behind to overtake on either side of the vehicle, Bike Sense will extend the top of the car seat to tap the driver on the left or right shoulder. JLR says the idea is that the driver will then instinctively look over that shoulder to identify the potential hazard.

jack smith

Veteran
Cant be a bad thing!! Shame its not on all cars though! And i doubt it ever will be for a long time atleast!

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Its the second car company to start looking at the problem that some drivers have though.
If the high end start, maybe other manufacturer's might just follow. And hopefully on more than cars.

sackville d

Veteran
I think he needs it. That looks like a close pass to me.

tyred

Legendary Member
I get pretty annoyed when my ancient set of wheels starts beeping at me for not putting on a seat belt within a nanosecond of the start of a journey. If the wretched thing started tapping me on the shoulder ever few seconds I think I might come over " all Basil Fawlty". View attachment 77506

Ah yes, the BMC trademarked accident prevention device - cars that don't start when you want them.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Maybe the fact the JLR are looking into it - and it is being publicised - will make drivers more aware that they, too, should be looking out better for pedal-and-motorcyclists.

At least it is bringing notice to the issue, which must be a good thing.
IMO

andyfraser

Über Member
[QUOTE 3488585, member: 9609"]Pity the technology built into the car couldn't be used to instantaneously email the police every time the driver goes too close to a cyclist.

Seriously though, why is there not a black box fitted into every vehicle that recorded who how and where it was being driven.?[/QUOTE]
I've always liked the idea of a tamper-proof black box recording speed, GPS co-ordinates and other useful data. If it could record where cyclists, and other road users for that matter, are in relation to the vehicle maybe it would make people think more. If the first thing the police do after an accident is look at the data it makes it much harder for someone to lie to cover themselves and removes some of the he-said-she-said arguments. I could just be talking science fiction though.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've always liked the idea of a tamper-proof black box recording speed, GPS co-ordinates and other useful data. If it could record where cyclists, and other road users for that matter, are in relation to the vehicle maybe it would make people think more.

Introducing presumed liability would make people think more, and would be a lot cheaper - no need to retrofit equipment to 30 million cars.

GC

Top Bottom