Jammed rear Tiagra gear cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Evening my lovelies! Crashed a while back and replaced various parts. Now got round to replacing rear gear cable but it seems jammed in hood: can't push through or pull out. Not particularly helpful pictures attached. Any help appreciated.
20190214_202753.jpg
20190214_202748.jpg
20190214_202753.jpg
20190214_202748.jpg
20190214_202753.jpg

Slioch

Guru
What I'd do is to cut the gear cable leaving about an inch or so, then do some serious jiggling about.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
On smallest cog already. Did think about cutting it down and leaving it be? But not sure that's the best idea.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I don't know if that is a problem with Tiagra, but when I got my new shifters from Ribble in November I had to send them back for replacement as the R/H cable jammed solid as I was setting it up. Not much help to you, I know.

U

User6179

If it has been trapped in the mechanism and providing it is similiar to 5700 and 6700 shifters you can loosen the bolt that holds the mechanism together, it is located underneath the shifter, you have to remove the clamp that holds it to the handlebars to reach it.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
If it has been trapped in the mechanism and providing it is similiar to 5700 and 6700 shifters you can loosen the bolt that holds the mechanism together, it is located underneath the shifter, you have to remove the clamp that holds it to the handlebars to reach it.
It's 2016 Tiagra, which is the newer style, rather than old loopy cable type. Will have a fiddle and hope everything doesn't fall apart.

U

User6179

It's 2016 Tiagra, which is the newer style, rather than old loopy cable type. Will have a fiddle and hope everything doesn't fall apart.

Just dont loosen the bolt completly, it wont fall apart but the nut is inside the shifter and hard to get back on the bolt, you pull the brake lever as far as possible and the nut is located in the opening betwween the lever and top of shifter, the bolts used to unwind on the 6700 shifter and the nut would fall out causing the shifter to jam, took me an hour just to get the nut back in place so be carefull

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I have the exact same issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The manual...
https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-ST0002-05-ENG.pdf

Last edited:
Top Bottom