Jamming the Chain in the Derailer... What's the reason this keeps happening?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaisyBiking

I recently bought a lightly used 2019 Kona Rove and have had some problems with the gear shifting of the front gears since purchasing. The pictures below give an example of the same situation that has happened multiple times when I am pedaling up a slight incline and downshift from the large chaining to the small chaining - I am pedaling the entire time, but the chain get's jammed in the front derailer as it is going from high to low gears. Notice in the picture (the bike is upside-down in photo) - the chain is still wrapped 360 degrees around the smaller chaining, and is also stuck on 4 teeth of the larger chaining. I've gotten a new chain, adjusted the derailer angle, and am still having this problem. Anyone know why this is happening??
IMG_2003.jpg
IMG_2002.jpg

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I recently bought a lightly used 2019 Kona Rove and have had some problems with the gear shifting of the front gears since purchasing. The pictures below give an example of the same situation that has happened multiple times when I am pedaling up a slight incline and downshift from the large chaining to the small chaining - I am pedaling the entire time, but the chain get's jammed in the front derailer as it is going from high to low gears. Notice in the picture (the bike is upside-down in photo) - the chain is still wrapped 360 degrees around the smaller chaining, and is also stuck on 4 teeth of the larger chaining. I've gotten a new chain, adjusted the derailer angle, and am still having this problem. Anyone know why this is happening??
View attachment 571049 View attachment 571048
From the photos, I would hazard a guess that possibly the front mech is a tad too low to the large chainring, so the chain is getting trapped by the mech as it lifts off of the ring before dropping down to the smaller ring. Also it is possible that the mech is not going far enough over to get the whole chain on the smaller ring.
This video is quite good, it shows how to install, but more importantly how to adjust it.

View: https://youtu.be/zuFmkF5FoDY

iluvmybike

Über Member
Good to check the FD height and alignment. But if you change down once you are on the inclne then that can easily happen especially on a compact - it is a big step down from 50t to 34t - get in the right gear before you hit the incline, or, if you do have to change down, try to back off pedalling and then change down - changing under pressure isn't ideal

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome:@DaisyBiking
I don't think this is chain suck per se. The chainrings will not be worn with 'light use' and the OP's bike/chainset looks very clean.
I'd go @Paulus 's route. Drop the FD slightly and be sure (with chain on small/small that the cage plate is clear of the chain.
From the images, has the FD been shifted back up (after trying to shift down)? I can't see what would guide the chain back up onto the large ring.

Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
Think it's you. The profile of both chainrings look fine, to me.
Assume OP has sufficient insight to say it's a "recently bought a lightly used 2019 Kona Rove".
Chain rings should last at least 10,000 miles unless made of cheese. Tread on the Schwalbes look close to new (?<1000 miles).

DRM

Guru
Look from about the 11:50 to 12:00 position on the 2nd photo, it just looks worn, the seller would say lightly used wouldn't they, the frame looks to have a few scratches/gouges out of it too

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Or lack of tension on the return section because the chain is too long (perhaps more likely than RD spring failure, on a nearly new bike).
OP - let's have an image of the chain on small/small, from the side (bike the proper way up).

Top Bottom