January ride for fish n chips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HaloJ

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
  • Fly - unless the duvet wins
  • Flying Dodo
  • Frank
  • HaloJ
  • User10571 - may join ride
  • Ianrauk - Joining at Aldgate
  • User3143
  • Lukesdad - may meet us for lunch
  • Mark Grant
  • Martin235
  • Martok
  • Origamist
  • rb58
  • Red Jedi - if not working
  • SteveVW - Moorgate station with 2 others and a possible extra one if he thinks he can keep the average speed up
  • topcat1
  • zigzag
Changes
  • Andrij - out due to some shoot stealing his bike
  • Davywalnuts - resting injured knee
  • GBS - is now out to recoup some more
Potential return leggers
  • HaloJ
  • Ianrauk
  • Martin235
  • Martok
  • rb58
  • Red Jedi
  • topcat1

frank9755

Cyclist
I was planning on doing a return too.

In any case, there's not much point in me getting the train to Stratford as it still leaves me 15+ miles short of home!

Was chatting to a cycling friend last night and he said that Maldon was his very first cycling trip, to the youth hostel when he was 14. I said I thought it was a good trip for a 14 year old and he confessed that he and his friend got a lift part of the way in the back of a van!

redjedi

Über Member
I'm sure Rimas (zigzag) won't mind if I put his name forward for the return leg. I think he should be able to manage it :whistle:

What's the plan for the return leg? Are we back tracking the way we go out or doing a more direct route make to the smoke?

lukesdad

My route over looks pretty complex, hope I don t get lost. There s just too many roads round here........Oh why cant it be like home ? One road everywhere,sigh :wacko:

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm sure Rimas (zigzag) won't mind if I put his name forward for the return leg. I think he should be able to manage it :whistle:

What's the plan for the return leg? Are we back tracking the way we go out or doing a more direct route make to the smoke?

Is there a gpx file of the route (and back)? I'll be bailing at a convenient point to get the Woolwich ferry on the way back.

Cheers for organising this Abs, I'm really looking forward to it. Weather is still looking good, Monday is booked off work for resting, Woohoo! Just got to remember to install Facebook for Windows before I leave on Sunday.....

OP
OP
HaloJ

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
The MapMyRide route is bonkers and goes the wrong way up one way streets, I presume riding on the pavements. I've recreated it using bikeroutetoaster for the outbound and I'm working on the two return choices. One swinging more Southwards to accommodate those wanting to go south of the river and the other following a similar route to the outbound.

Please excuse my tardiness with getting the return route complete I've had a relatively bad week.

Abs

redjedi

Über Member
Have you tried ridewithgps.com. Very good for plotting routes.

OP
OP
HaloJ

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Have you tried ridewithgps.com. Very good for plotting routes.

Not yet actually. Only used it for post ride analysis.

How many of the return leggers want the ferry? I'm thinking of using Dellzeq's route for the return leg as it's on roads that are better lit than the country lanes of the outbound route.

stevevw

Guru
[QUOTE 1280452"]
I'll be riding back, after all what I signed up for was a ton with some fish n chips for me lunch.:whistle:

But I won't be catching the ferry, instead I'll be getting the train from Kings Cross
[/quote]

Lee you are welcome to ride back with the Herts boys. As long as you believe the way I will be going is the correct way ;)

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=199001

Oh and I may let you draft me this time. :biggrin:

stevevw

Guru
[QUOTE 1280454"]
Edit: Looking at the route and it's not bad at all. I could carry on going to WGC and then jump on the Wheathampstead Road to Luton. I'll make a decision in Maldon.
[/quote]

Lee I can give you a nice fairly direct route to the lower luton road on some quiet lanes saves going through WGC too.

http://www.bikeroute...x?course=202149

Top Bottom