Jazz mags....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Good stuff! I sometimes have a glance through that magazine in Tesco's, but there's still so much good old jazz that I've yet to listen to properly that I don't think I'll ever get beyond the 1960s, let alone into the 2000s. So I always put it back on the shelf.
Ha, so true! The listening list has grown significantly :becool:

You’re right though, there’s a lot to choose from, not just the extensive back catalogue, but some fabulous new talent coming through. Bliss!

Last edited:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
You should ask her to get you a suit like this:

View attachment 495543

perfect for reading your magazines in.

Boogie Woogie George...... 😎

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I saw Polar Bear in Dartington Hall, a couple of years back.

That was pretty special.

Random nu Jazz on the radio, drives me a bit Nutts though.

I think it's a conciously opting-in kind of music.

If someone just drops it on you, it can sound a bit like a brawl in a tool shop. :blink:

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
@Hill Wimp has just bought me a subscription for this.....

View attachment 495542
Funnily enough I was listening to Time Out last night. I like it a lot.

"Take Five" is probably considered a hackneyed, cliched, throwaway thing these days due to over-familiarity. Which is why it's nice to turn the lights off, the volume up, and listen to it properly. The drum solo gets me every time, on a real visceral level. It's wonderful.

"Kathy's Waltz"; jazz in waltz time? Fabulous.

It's one of the three albums on the BBC4 doco from a while back, "1959: The Year That Changed Jazz" (along with Kind Of Blue by Miles Davis and The Shape Of Jazz To Come by Ornette Coleman). Worth looking up, that.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I don't think so. I've looked on Google maps and it appears there's not a pub on that site any more. Maybe someone else will remember.
The Penny Black is the only pub I remember opposite the sorting office. Previously called the Clerkenwell Tavern.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

I saw Polar Bear in Dartington Hall, a couple of years back.

That was pretty special.

Random nu Jazz on the radio, drives me a bit Nutts though.

I think it's a conciously opting-in kind of music.

If someone just drops it on you, it can sound a bit like a brawl in a tool shop. :blink:
I think it depends, much like any genre of music or even the output of any one musician or group. Jazz is a very broad church. Many people hear it every day in films, documentaries etc but don’t realise it fits into the genre. Even among ‘the greats’ like Miles Davis or John Coltrane, some albums are among my faves and others are impenetrable. But that’s the same with pop, classical whatever.
But there something in Jazz for everybody if they take a little time....

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Funnily enough I was listening to Time Out last night. I like it a lot.

"Take Five" is probably considered a hackneyed, cliched, throwaway thing these days due to over-familiarity. Which is why it's nice to turn the lights off, the volume up, and listen to it properly. The drum solo gets me every time, on a real visceral level. It's wonderful.

"Kathy's Waltz"; jazz in waltz time? Fabulous.

It's one of the three albums on the BBC4 doco from a while back, "1959: The Year That Changed Jazz" (along with Kind Of Blue by Miles Davis and The Shape Of Jazz To Come by Ornette Coleman). Worth looking up, that.
That was a great documentary, and I bought the Mingus and Coleman albums I didn’t already own as a result. Time Out is great, and an album that’s always worth revisiting. When I was learning the Saxophone, I relished pieces in 5/4 time. Take Five was the most difficult piece I ever managed (poorly). Paul Desmond’s solo work is well worth a listen, smoother than a amooth thing on planet smooth!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I once happened upon a Herbie Hancock concert on holiday in Taormina many years ago and thought it would be fun to get tickets.
What I thought was eight musicians tuning up their instruments while Herbie swung the hose of a vacuum cleaner around his head as he blew into it, turned out to be the main event. I swear no two musicians were playing the same tune.

It was so bad we couldn't stop laughing so did the decent thing and left.

Stunning venue thobut...

Top Bottom