Jazz's Start From Scratch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
I use my phone for GPS, no mapping just tracking lol I ave the strava, endomondo and garmin connect apps to use and review afterwards. I also have a cateye strada cadence wired computer on there which I have set to current speed and current cadence. Works wonders for hill climbing and keeping your rhythm going!

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Jazz

Jazz

Regular
That sounds like a cheapish alternative, are these apps on android?

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
Well I was told today by a mate (I didn't know how much he was into cycling until today) that I should hold off on the Scott, and he says if I get him a budget he will find me a top notch used bike, then I can spend a few quid on cassettes, brakes, blah blah if needed. He reckons I will get more for my money rather than buying new.

So I'll take my time like, but if he's willing to get me a cracking bike for cheap then I can't say no eh!! :biggrin:

Thats great if your mate can get you fixed up, but I would recommend you go along to your LBS and try out a few different makes and make sure you get the right framesize that fits you. If you don't get the right fit you will ache and hurt in places that you never thought possible! Different makes of bikes feel different don't asume that one size fits all!

Helmet must fit on your head and not move even when not fastened. i.e. try the helmet on, tighten the inside there's usually a dial or dials to make it fit comfortably, shake your head a little if it stays put and feels comfortable. Mountain bike helmets tend to protect more of the head than road helmets, but all have to meet the safety regs.

Clothing is a personal thing but you will need a good breathable waterproof, some jackets make you sweat and when the weather turns they can feel cold and damp!
Get a good cycle bag for all your clothes, snacks and puncture repair equipment. A good Pump too. I have the both Mountain morph and road morph I'm sure others will have their favourites too.

If you journey's planned well, you'll know exactly where You'll probably stop to eat so no need to carry huge amounts of food Unless your like my OH. Just make sure you have energy bars / sweets incase you hit a low and need instant energy and keep topping up your fluids. Once you start training you'll know your limits.

Oh and welcome :welcome: to CC as you've already discovered lots of people will always be on hand to offer help and advise.

OP
OP
Jazz

Jazz

Regular
Cheers rodgy-dodge! That's going to help a lot!! So far I have learned I will need:

a Bike (believe it or not, my research is top notch :biggrin:)
helmet
breathable waterproofs
padded shorts
a set of road slicks and a set of knobblys
decent pump
decent rucksack with spare stuff (would I get a spare chain too?)

Those clip-on shoes that you twist to lock into the pedals (yeah or nay?)

Cheers for the welcome, this place is canny good! I can't wait to sell my car!!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That sounds like a cheapish alternative, are these apps on android?
You have to be careful with mobile apps with battery life , for C2C you might have issues but as a start for training rides you should be ok.
I do not have a garmin atm , ruddy kids and wife want food for some reason :smile:

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
Cheers rodgy-dodge! That's going to help a lot!! So far I have learned I will need:

a Bike (believe it or not, my research is top notch :biggrin:)
helmet
breathable waterproofs
padded shorts
a set of road slicks and a set of knobblys
decent pump
decent rucksack with spare stuff (would I get a spare chain too?)

We carry a chain splitter tool thingy (husbands department) and spare links never had to use them! Just make sure you have a list of bike shops on route should you need spares or repairs, Happened to my friend when one of her pedals broke! put there numbers in your phone...

Those clip-on shoes that you twist to lock into the pedals (yeah or nay?)

I have SPD's on my road bike, but took them off the mountain bike too tricky for me to get my feet out in time and always kept coming off and it really hurts at my age :wub: I have toe clips (like a cup) on the MTB it helps if you have something you can pull up with as well as puch down on

Cheers for the welcome, this place is canny good! I can't wait to sell my car!!

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
You have to be careful with mobile apps with battery life , for C2C you might have issues but as a start for training rides you should be ok.
I do not have a garmin atm , ruddy kids and wife want food for some reason :smile:

I have that problem too! I need a Garmin with hrm and cadence centre more than they need food! Me and the wife could do with loosing a few lbs :eek:

OP
OP
Jazz

Jazz

Regular
Aye I think I'll just buy a few spare batteries (depending on the cost like). I don't have a wife or kids but I'm fairly skint anyway so it isn't likely I'll be getting a Garmin or similar!

I'll be mainly on the road by the sounds of things, so I could get those - are the SPD's what I was describing? I'll learn, please be patient haha!!

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
Aye I think I'll just buy a few spare batteries (depending on the cost like). I don't have a wife or kids but I'm fairly skint anyway so it isn't likely I'll be getting a Garmin or similar!

I'll be mainly on the road by the sounds of things, so I could get those - are the SPD's what I was describing? I'll learn, please be patient haha!!

Yeah You'll need to buy the Pedals and Shoes. The pedals usually come with the cleats I bought these HERE for my husband a few months ago as he wanted pedals with a flat side on them so he could just nip out on the bike without having to put on his biking shoes. He reserves his biking shoes for when we're out on the road or off roading These are what I use on my mountain bike

OP
OP
Jazz

Jazz

Regular
I'll probably have to have a look into that... Do you have to have special shoes for those pedals or is there an attachment on to normal shoes? Am I the hotspot for daft cycling questions? :biggrin:

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Special shoes. I may have some size 11 mountain bike spd compatible shoes with m520 pedals and cleats for sale in the next few days if your interested

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
No worrys. Spds (mountain bike style) may be best if you want to go clipless as I find I can clip in and out easier and it means you can get recessed cleats so you can walk if needed as ive found a few times!

Top Bottom