Jazz's Start From Scratch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Ive used them to commute over 1500 miles this year on my road bike, just swapped to spd-sl's as I got a bargain on pedals, cleats and shoes on here! Lol.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
I'll probably have to have a look into that... Do you have to have special shoes for those pedals or is there an attachment on to normal shoes? Am I the hotspot for daft cycling questions? :biggrin:

No not at all when your new to it I think the more knowledge you have to make life on the open road easier the better! You will need to get some proper spd shoes! If your on a tight budget look out for the Aldi and Lidl ones Husband has had the Aldi ones they do the job, but if your thinking of taking it all seriously especially doing the coast to coast I'd get a pair of shimano's, I've had mine for about ten years only ever had to change the cleats and pedals. Like Kiwiavenger says the spd's are easier to walk in should you need to get off and push...no shame in this but you will soon learn its easier to spin going up hill than get off and push even if pedestrians are walking at a much faster pace than you :bicycle:

Or you can look out for shoes on ebay but you take a risk with the sizing! I bought my road shoes off ebay got a bargain as the lady decided cycling wasn't her bag (second hand but brandnew) Don't know what others think, but I'm a half shoe size bigger in a biking shoe! but everyone might be different, again go along to your LBS and try a couple of different makes for sizing.

OP
OP
Jazz

Jazz

Regular
Thanks for the extra advice guys! That's very useful! Well an update from my friend the cycle-man who has looked at some bikes appropriate for me reckons that the boardman team CX cyclocross is probably my best bet. He's told me about cantilever brakes and that he doesn't like them, he told me discs are the way to go, and he definitely prefers cable to hydraulic. He said hydraulic are better but more of a faff to sort out (I think I got the gist of what he said right :wacko: ).

So I'm going to pop into Halfords and try the large framed one for that. I might try any other cycle gear for size while I am there too!! I just wish my car would hurry up and sell, I have my eye on another motor and I'm edging closer to cycling!!!

I wish my work would get showers in, It would be more appealing to bike to work then (I will still give it a go) but if I stink because of all the sweating I'll probably have to re-think everything. But that's me going off on one :laugh:

I've got a Specialized Tricross - the equivalent of the Boardman cyclocross - and think it would fit the bill; more comfortable than a road bike, but nippy on the road. They are designed for cyclocross (obviously) and I ride mine on tracks with no worries. The wheels are generally expected to be able to take some stick.

I've ridden mine 100 miles plus in a day with no probs.

OP
OP
Jazz

Jazz

Regular
Aye nice one, if it'll be quicker than a hardtail for getting to work then it's the one for me haha!! And if it'll do C2C then that's a bonus isn't it. Cheers everyone!

Now does anyone have any advice for not smelling after an 11-mile commute WITHOUT work showers? :wacko:

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Aye nice one, if it'll be quicker than a hardtail for getting to work then it's the one for me haha!! And if it'll do C2C then that's a bonus isn't it. Cheers everyone!

Now does anyone have any advice for not smelling after an 11-mile commute WITHOUT work showers? :wacko:

Get fit, shower before hand, keep a towel in work and arrive 20 minutes early to allow yourself to cool down properly. Also anti perspirant works wonders after you get in though

OP
OP
Jazz

Jazz

Regular
Have you done this before? :laugh:

Cheers mate, I appreciate it! My uncle lives near where I work so when I get the bike I'll ride straight down there and see how bad I get. I can't stand being sweaty/sticky all day, it drives me up the wall! So I'll take into account what you've said there like!

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Have you done this before? :laugh:

Cheers mate, I appreciate it! My uncle lives near where I work so when I get the bike I'll ride straight down there and see how bad I get. I can't stand being sweaty/sticky all day, it drives me up the wall! So I'll take into account what you've said there like!

My work doesnt have a shower but my commutes only 5 miles (I stretched it out to 15 one morning this week with no I'll affects)

Babywipes are also very good as is keeping a towel in work for the wet days! I have also got into leaving a full change of clothes in my draw as well.

OP
OP
Jazz

Jazz

Regular
Yeah I'll have a look at the most breathable cycling kit and make sure I bring a change of clothes and towel to work. I hate baby wipes I had to do that the other day when the water was off, that made it worse!!!

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Yeah I'll have a look at the most breathable cycling kit and make sure I bring a change of clothes and towel to work. I hate baby wipes I had to do that the other day when the water was off, that made it worse!!!

Personally I use them to wipe the salt crust off my face when it's been hot! Lol. I do ride 5 miles with lots of climbing so not much air cooling

OP
OP
Jazz

Jazz

Regular
Another Q kinda related to earlier in this thread - How does the "MyCyclingLog" or "TickerFactory" thing work? Do I need a device that records & updates it somehow or do I just need a simple cheapy thing?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'll probably have to have a look into that... Do you have to have special shoes for those pedals or is there an attachment on to normal shoes? Am I the hotspot for daft cycling questions? :biggrin:
Hi, Jazz. No way this is a hotspot for daft cycling questions. It's a series of very good questions well answered. A sort of newcomers FAQ thread.

EDIT: for the my cycling log ticker there's a thread here (if Auntie Helen who does the admin is away, if may take a while to get you set up)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Top Bottom