JE James: Taking the Michael

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I was after a pair of summer mits for my commuter bike, checked the JE James website and found a suitable pair.

Stock figure 87 pairs of size: large

Went in today, no large size.

The assistants were not helpful, they couldn't be bothered to look. All I got was that's all we've got. I said that the website shows nearly 100 in stock. They seemed more bothered walking around with pieces of paper in their hands, stock counts?

Some of the staff in that shop must have been to the same school as the dopes who work at PC World.

This is the second time in a week this store has stock showing and no stock in.

I can accept discrepances of one or two, but 87. What the hell is wrong with this shop?

I work at a major UK High St shop chain, if I was caught treating our customers this badly I'd be in serious trouble.

I hope they run their finances better or they'll be bankrupt before the year's out.

I'm giving this shop a miss from now on, all my orders will be from decent online retailers.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Which of their three branches were you in?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The Sheffield Branch of JE James is regarded as a complete joke by many local cyclists. Many people still use them but don't have high expectations and will have a rant or crack a joke about them. Problem is they serve a niche that isn't really there locally with anybody else. The sheffield and surrounding area is very lucky that we have a decathlon but can be serving different needs. As the point was made to me by an arrogant member of staff, they won't go out of business, they are doing booming business due to the credit offered and cycle to work scheme.

The Chesterfield branch is a very different place.

bonj2

They're an LBS, and a busy one at that, not an online retailer that you happen to be able to walk into that can provide you with the exact size of the exact product that you want at the drop of a hat.
There are some reasonable mechanics there, at least one good wheelbuilder, and are actually pretty good if you are willing to shop without having already decided exactly what you want - i.e. they will have *something* to fit your needs, maybe not a massive choice, but what they do have will often be better than you might have been able to find online. In other words, IME, online you have often got far TOO MUCH choice, and I will just pick a random product that looks pretty good, whereas if I go in James' they will have something that is probably better than I would have chosen. I buy it, and then find it IS actually available online, but at no less cost - sometimes more, and not always available from the bigger online retailers.
But I wouldn't have found it online, and am very pleased with it. That's for me the best reason to shop at the LBS.
I think you should stop whinging and stop being so consumer-centric.

bonj2

marinyork said:
The Sheffield Branch of JE James is regarded as a complete joke by many local cyclists. Many people still use them but don't have high expectations and will have a rant or crack a joke about them. Problem is they serve a niche that isn't really there locally with anybody else. The sheffield and surrounding area is very lucky that we have a decathlon but can be serving different needs. As the point was made to me by an arrogant member of staff, they won't go out of business, they are doing booming business due to the credit offered and cycle to work scheme.

The Chesterfield branch is a very different place.

40% of the staff are 'bmx kiddies', 40% are salesmen, and the other 20% are actually quite reasonable.
Some of the bmx kiddies are actually also reasonable mechanics, but they are often busy all the time, what with being snowed under by dumn cretins who don't know how to set their gears up properly.

I also happen to know that the chesterfield branch have got a machine that can put threads back on stripped bolts.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I think it's the salesmen people have a problem with. The Sheffield Branch has a good location and parking and the company have a credit scheme. Depends what you want out of a place really.

OP
OP
Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I think you should stop whinging and stop being so consumer-centric.[/quote]

That's complete cobblers.

Any retailer who is NOT 'consumer-centric' deserves to go out of business. I've worked in retail for 15 years, it's not rocket science. I've had better service from the staff at McDonalds, and they get paid minimum wage.

If JE James have that attitude then they should sell double glazing and roofing products.

The Rotherham store gave better customer service when it was a Fire Station.

bonj2

Alembicbassman said:
bonj said:
I think you should stop whinging and stop being so consumer-centric.

That's complete cobblers.

Well it's not cobblers, actually - I DO think that, whether you agree with me or not.

By consumer-centric I mean that YOU are being far too consumer-centric, in that you shouldn't be so obsessed with the fact that you are a "customer" and that therefore you should be waited on hand and foot and if any single part of your experience is less than perfect then you have a valid grievance.

Tried Fosters cycles ? [Rotherham, Thames street].

That's my favourite LBS.

Crankarm

Guru
The odd occasion I have called them to check whether items on their website are actually in stock the people I have dealt with have been courteous, helpful and know what they are talking about. They have actually offered to go and check to make sure the item is in stock to avoid the disappointment of ordering on line and later find item o.o.s even if this takes 5 minutes of their time. I called the Rotherham shop. I haven't actually bought anything from them yet on-line as when I went to purchase the item I couldn't be sure their first page of the transaction entering personal details was actually secure as the page did not come up https:/ and the properties did not say "encrypted" or offer any security so I haven't ordered yet. They haven't come back to me as I emailed them about it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sorry but JE James are rubbish at stock control...... I was after a limited stock item - a Dura Ace 7410 1" headset....not many about...... JE James said they had them...... ordered...nothing, then got a cancelled order about a week later...bugger all other correspondence........

Ordered via SJS - they checked, couldn't find the item that was supposed to be in stock, but ordered it via the importer - delivered prompt.....

Why couldn't JE James get it via the importer - it was listed as a 'current item' - i.e. in stock/available...... lazy buggers.........

It's OK if you can go in, but not if you can't, and JE's web site looks well swish, so you'd think they were geared up.........

TBH I've ordered stuff via EBC, and if it's out of stock, they will get it shiped via another store.....

I rang them today to as I was round the corner from the Rotherham store. They said the only 10sp KMC chains they had in stock were in Chesterfield. When I asked him if they had any other brands in he "found" 3 KMC ones.
The staff were reasonably friendly but not that knowledgable. Still, £22 for a KMC gold chain - can't grumble too much...

naffets

I live in sheffield use that branch quite often and also the chesterfield shop and i agree with what bonj said. They are limited concerning stock but all the staff have been welcoming and if not what your looking for they will have something similiar.
If your after something specific then use the net but dont compare it with your local lbs.As for listing the wrong amount its best to ring up and check first as every time ive enquired about an item they took my number down and got back in touch.
Also if you see an item on the net and they stock it they will price match
can,t ask for more than that

bonj2

fossyant said:
Sorry but JE James are rubbish at stock control...... I was after a limited stock item - a Dura Ace 7410 1" headset....not many about...... JE James said they had them...... ordered...nothing, then got a cancelled order about a week later...bugger all other correspondence........

Ordered via SJS - they checked, couldn't find the item that was supposed to be in stock, but ordered it via the importer - delivered prompt.....

Why couldn't JE James get it via the importer - it was listed as a 'current item' - i.e. in stock/available...... lazy buggers.........

It's OK if you can go in, but not if you can't, and JE's web site looks well swish, so you'd think they were geared up.........

TBH I've ordered stuff via EBC, and if it's out of stock, they will get it shiped via another store.....

SJS are the man for anything obscure!

Top Bottom