Jeremy Clarkson should be sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I used to say ip dip dip, my blue ship, sailing on the water like a cup and saucer, O U T spells out.
Never took you to be a skipper Crackle!!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
He is an arse and he likes to tease and I suspect he is now so rich and fat that there's a mischief elf sitting in his head that prompts him to push it just a bit further and a bit further just for the rather childish thrill of seeing just how far he can go and they still won't touch him, but I tend to draw my overall take on this 'incident' (which I was surprised among other things to find happened two years ago), from this, taken from the Guardian article:

Clarkson's Top Gear co-host James May earlier leapt to the star's defence. May told his 1.4 million Twitter followers: "Jeremy Clarkson is not a racist. He is a monumental bellend and many other things, but not a racist. I wouldn't work with one. #ThatIsAll."

Piers Morgan, the former CNN presenter with a long history of feuding with Clarkson, led calls on Twitter for him to be dismissed. He said Clarkson should be "TV toast", and added: "Ron Atkinson was fired by @ITV for using the N-word.

I think May is probably right. He is a bellend (and would be the first to admit it), but not a racist. Let's also try to maintain a sense of perspective. Yes, Ron Atkinson was fired 'for using the N word'. But there's a big difference between 'mischievously/stupidly' mumbling it as part of a childhood rhyme (and yes, I'm Clarkson's age, and it was still around in that form when I was a boy...tho' it was beginning to be frowned on, and definitely on its way out), and using it to abuse someone. Atkinson didn't just 'use the N word'; he called a player 'a lazy N'. That, in my view, is a very different matter. And why Clarkson's grovelling apology, and the BBC's acceptance of it, seems to me about right.

But he is an arse.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Agree with swee'pea in terms of the difference between JC & RA. Its a shades of grey thing and Atkinsons was a far more malicious use of the word.

I wouldnt lose a wink of sleep if Clarkson wasnt on TV anymore but hyperbole connections with far nastier examples are more likely to work in his favour than against him.

I doubt if he'd recited 3 blind mice, we'd be equating with vivisectionists and horse mutilators.

Has Rose Kennedy got a black dress?

Clarkson's simpering apology for a word sounding like a word he denied saying ten hours ago. Disingenuous schmuck. He's a sniggering schoolboy seeing how far he can push his luck. Clarkson is filth, he panders to prejudice, whether it's sniggering about young Chinese people who drowned, black people or cyclists getting killed. He's said much worse than this and got away with it.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Has Rose Kennedy got a black dress?

Clarkson's simpering apology for a word sounding like a word he denied saying ten hours ago. Disingenuous schmuck. He's a sniggering schoolboy seeing how far he can push his luck. Clarkson is filth, he panders to prejudice, whether it's sniggering about young Chinese people who drowned, black people or cyclists getting killed. He's said much worse than this and got away with it.

I meant your "should be wiped out" comment,not your views on him.

"Chinese women in hats, upside down, in a bit of water. You can see that sort of thing on Morecambe Beach."

I'm happy to admit that sentence isn't racist, but it's pretty grim. It's not a joke in any real sense, it's just a sniggering reference to people drowning.

buggi

Bird Saviour
classic case of racism being embedded in our childhood without us even realising or making a connection. My mate used to use the n-word to describe a particular shade of brown bcoz it was what her mother brought her up saying. She felt terrible when someone at work pointed out to her what the n-word meant. She's one of the nicest people i know, it wasn't a phrase she was called on to use very often and had simply never made the connection. Jeremy probably recited the nursery rhyme without two thoughts until he got to the crucial part, realised as the word spilled out, attempted to change it mid-word but too late, already said it.
the guy ain't stupid, he's said some controversial stuff for money but he knows racism is career suicide no matter who you are. It could be quite feasible that the one thing that finally ends his career is the only thing that was a genuine mess up.
i always preferred Ip Dip Dog Poo, It Is Not You. Easier to remember.

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
classic case of racism being embedded in our childhood without us even realising or making a connection

Yes we had a news agent's round the corner from us growing up in our old house, and we called it the...... Ummm.... well, 'The P*kis' (there, said it) without ever thinking about it, it was just a name to us and what the shop was called (to us anyway, it probably had a proper name, and they probably weren't Pakistani anyway!), it didn't mean anything more than that. We also used to go to the carry out to get a 'Chi*ky'. Also non racial obviously, but if you were stupid you were a 'Sp*zzy', and I had a friend who referred to the buses the special needs kids used as 'Spa*zy Buses' and so on, it was the words people used, and as kids, how were we meant to know any better??

THAT SAID, after the innocence of youth, I quickly learned not to use these terms, and they would never, ever even occur to me now!
With that in mind, really, Mr Clarkson should have known better!!

My mate used to use the n-word to describe a particular shade of brown bcoz it was what her mother brought her up saying.

To be fair, there is genuinely a tone of brown with that name, N*gger Brown, but, I imagine like most people my age, we only learned that well after childhood so it was never an issue.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm sure it would have been all been fine if a black person had said it.
No, Richard Pryor, Eddy Murphy and many others were castigated for their excessive use of it although it is often used as a term of endearment between "brothers/dreads" but rarely spoken by church going Afro-Caribbeans, certainly I have never heard it from my uncle Matthew (Antiguan) nor any of my cousins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom