Jeremy Vine.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Apparently, the above radio personality is being villified for reporting an HGV driver for a close pass that he filmed on his helmet cam recently. there's even a petition demanding that he to be sacked from the BBC because of this.
Now, on the basis that he submitted said footage to the authorities, it's up to them to take what action they feel suitable; in this case the driver has been suspended, or not, depending on which information you believe.
This does pose the interesting question that, if it had been the likes of you or me who had submitted the footage, it would have hardly raised a ripple. But because of who it was, there's uproar.
Hmm. :whistle:

Twilkes

Guru
I can't find the clip, but there were a bunch of cyclists slowly riding side by side in a lane, nothing wrong with that, but the HGV was entirely in their lane, and a traffic policeman was so close to the white line on the right hand side that once the HGV passed he actually crossed the line unintentionally, at this point there were maybe three cyclists side by side in their lane. I'm all for safe passing but cyclists also have to help themselves, the only way for the HGV to give them more room was to cross over into the opposite lane when there was oncoming traffic, they shouldn't be required to do that if their own lane is fully clear.

Yes it's high profile because it's a celebrity, but also because Jeremy Vine has been fairly outspoken about this stuff and can be a bit of a dick about it at times. And it's not really the submitting of the footage of the police, it's posting it publicly with his level of profile, such that the police probably felt they had to be seen to do something, which they apparently did (or did not, I can't tell).

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
But because of who it was, there's uproar

I doubt it.

It’s far more likely that the uniformed police officer who was cycling with them and was possibly closest to the lorry when it passed, said on the video when it happened, “He’ll get undue care and attention for that.” Instant recognition from a cop on the scene that he judged an offence to have been committed.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
the only way for the HGV to give them more room was to cross over into the opposite lane when there was oncoming traffic

The driver of the large rigid HGV ahead of the Waitrose driver managed it fine.

If oncoming traffic prevents you from passing safely then you wait until it is safe.
A strip of paint does not relieve you of your responsibility to give cyclists room when passing them.

Twilkes

Guru
The driver of the large rigid HGV ahead of the Waitrose driver managed it fine.

If oncoming traffic prevents you from passing safely then you wait until it is safe.
A strip of paint does not relieve you of your responsibility to give cyclists room when passing them.

And yet the rider in blue in front of the police rider had zero problems with it, despite riding two abreast himself. The ground speed was low and the speed differential was probably only a few mph, if that had been me I would have just moved a little to the left, although I wouldn't have been in that position in the first place.

Top Bottom