Jeremy Vine.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
The driver didn't have a lot of room because the road was narrow and from what i could see he didn't cross the broken line.
now the driver is probably going to get a reprimand from his company and might even lose his job
Narrow road? Cyclist usually cycle 1m out from curb add 1.5 m plus width of lorry. Here in France cars cross white line to overtake and if a car is coming in the opposite direction it normally moves over to road edge. Need to enforce the bigger rule. The biggest vehicle is automatically jugded to be at fault until all the facts are known.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
It's shLtty riding like that that gives us all a bad name etc etc. Copper giving it the big one prob because he was being filmed with Jeremy Vine in tow. Lorry did feck all wrong imho.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Even cyclists cannot agree on this one. The LGV was totally in his lane and the viz vest policeman was also in his lane. The LGV driver cannot decide where in his lane he drives. But the police officer can. He could not have been closer to the LGV lane.

The lane marking is almost immaterial - if it is not safe to pass then the LGV should not have tried. Still crappy riding though.

Milzy

Guru
I think he’s great, people are more dickish on here than he is. Listen to him in the afternoon, a brilliant broadcaster.

Jody

Stubborn git
Taking this to the extreme. If the rider is deemed to be riding correctly and the lorry still had to give them 1.5m, then surely 1 cyclists can hold 2 lanes of traffic up.

I don't see the lorry has done much (if anything) wrong here.

Take primary, ride two abreast, but you don't need to be scraping along the dividing line of the next lane unless turning right.

D

Deleted member 26715

So if we're saying that the lorry driver was at fault & shouldn't have overtaken without a clear 1.5M gap, what's the point of any cycle lane?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
So if we're saying that the lorry driver was at fault & shouldn't have overtaken without a clear 1.5M gap, what's the point of any cycle lane?

I said I wouldn't have overtaken an obvious wobbler?

icowden

Veteran
The lane marking is almost immaterial - if it is not safe to pass then the LGV should not have tried. Still crappy riding though.
But it is a big issue of human nature. If there are marked out lanes and I am in my lane, then the default behaviour is that I shouldn't have to worry about you in your lane, unless you wish to change lanes. As @Milkfloat indicated - whenever there are "marked" cycle lanes (you know the ones - that white line a foot and a half from the edge of the road) drivers will consider that you have a safe zone and that they don't need to pass in the same way as they would if there were no line.

In this case the HGV driver is within his lines - he is as wide as the lines in fact, and therefore does not consider the vehicles in other lanes, cars, bikes or otherwise. Yes, the cyclists could have moved over and been more considerate, he could also have waited, but the lines are guiding behaviour IMHO.

D

Deleted member 26715

The solution is quite simple, just ban all HGV from ALL city centres 6am until Midnight daily, or preferably 24 hours a day, but a buss would have done exactly the same.

iandg

Legendary Member
You could argue that the Police Officer was in breach of rule 66 of the Highway Code.

• Rule 66: Be considerate of the needs of other road users when riding in groups. You can ride two abreast and it can be safer to do so, particularly in larger groups or when accompanying children or less experienced riders. Be aware of drivers behind you, and allow them to overtake (e.g. by moving into single file or stopping) when you feel it is safe to let them do so.

PK99

Legendary Member
But it is a big issue of human nature. If there are marked out lanes and I am in my lane, then the default behaviour is that I shouldn't have to worry about you in your lane, unless you wish to change lanes. As @Milkfloat indicated - whenever there are "marked" cycle lanes (you know the ones - that white line a foot and a half from the edge of the road) drivers will consider that you have a safe zone and that they don't need to pass in the same way as they would if there were no line.

In this case the HGV driver is within his lines - he is as wide as the lines in fact, and therefore does not consider the vehicles in other lanes, cars, bikes or otherwise. Yes, the cyclists could have moved over and been more considerate, he could also have waited, but the lines are guiding behaviour IMHO.

Take the cyclists out of the picture, the driver does nothing wrong. Within his lane and appropriate speed.

Take the HGV out of the picture, riding so close to the lane divider is very poor road positioning by the cyclists.

So 1.5m passing distance rule doesn't apply to hgv in this case or all cases? Strict application of the rules then the lane markings mean nothing of they don't allow 1.5m passing distance.

Riding 2 abreast is considered best practise in larger groups as it creates a shorter length for other road users to overtake. If that's true for open roads why not for busy roads too.

Passing distance, does that apply to cyclists alongside other cyclists? I'm not sure about that but two abreast cyclists still need space between them and to the other side of them too. If the lane is narrow then it's not unreasonable to fill the lane up.

Personally I don't think the whole situation is a good for anyone only bad all round. That's uk roads for you I guess and why we need real infrastructure for cycling.

Top Bottom