Jersey colour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My cycle club are considering a new shirt design. I seem to recall reading that block or solid colour is more visible than patterned designs. In other words a single colour shirt will stand out more than a striped one as the contrast against the background surroundings is more pronounced.

I can't find anything on the web but feel sure I've read this before.

The debate is not about our colours but about whether the front and back should be one colour or a mix of two. The upper half being one and the lower another.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The debate is not about our colours but about whether the front and back should be one colour or a mix of two. The upper half being one and the lower another.

What does the membership think looks best, that is all that matters. Perceived visibility is a red herring.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Surly it would depend on your surroundings at the time ?

Lions are basically all one colour, but blend very well into their natural surroundings, as do tigers who are not one colour

As long as everyone likes it and it doesn't go against velominati rules....

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
What does the membership think looks best, that is all that matters. Perceived visibility is a red herring.

At our AGM the membership voted to simplify and tidy up the existing design which is very busy. Our committee is looking at how best to do this. The tidy up has proved to be quite easy and debate has moved on to the block of colour issue.

The membership will vote to chose the final design but there has to be a limit on choices.

Could you expand on why perceived visibility is a red herring? I "think" I find solid colour easier to pick out but can't prove it.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Could you expand on why perceived visibility is a red herring? I "think" I find solid colour easier to pick out but can't prove it.

My opinion is it really does not matter what you are wearing, if they don't look they won't see you, how anyone can miss 10 riders in formation escapes me. I would go for aesthetics as a primary concern for a club kit. Personally I prefer blocky colours and horizontal stripes do nothing for me.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Nothing before or since has stood out like this -

2018-06-13-peugeot-bp-michelin-retro-jersey-1_2000x.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
I seem to recall reading that block or solid colour is more visible than patterned designs . . .
whether the front and back should be one colour or a mix of two.
From the conspicuity PoV, have a look at this site: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battenburg_markings
Acknowledge link to @Smokin Joe 's post.

Top Bottom