Joanna Rowsell Shand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Are you sure? Have you asked her which title she prefers?
Have you asked? Since she's married Mr Shand, and since she took on Mr Shand's name, and since none of us know for sure, I'd say it's hardly outlandish to assume it's the most likely title until proven otherwise.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Fairly safe

Screenshot_20170315-105832.png

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Have you asked? Since she's married Mr Shand, and since she took on Mr Shand's name, and since none of us know for sure, I'd say it's hardly outlandish to assume it's the most likely title until proven otherwise.
A lot of married women go by Ms. It doesn't imply married status. So you can't have any idea which title she prefers.

S-Express

Ohh I do think there's a ways to go yet!

To be fair, reaching 'cyclechat status' is simply the first stage of absurdity.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
To be fair, the OP is at least on topic. Clearly the spelling of her name (which was close enough to be useful) is of greater importance than any potential discussion about her career, retirement and whether it is linked to the issues at BC that have recently been getting a lot of media attention.

S-Express

To be fair, the OP is at least on topic. Clearly the spelling of her name (which was close enough to be useful) is of greater importance than any potential discussion about her career, retirement and whether it is linked to the issues at BC that have recently been getting a lot of media attention.

Always good to start with the basics though - like getting her name right. In principle, it shouldn't be that difficult. Ironically, had her name been spelled correctly, the thread would not have ended up this way.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Sure, but we all make mistakes. A quick 'report' to a moderator to highlight the mistake and ask for a correction would have had the same effect. ;)

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
Sure, but we all make mistakes. A quick 'report' to a moderator to highlight the mistake and ask for a correction would have had the same effect. ;)

I don't want to get involved in the spelling mistake argument, I got it wrong and corrected it when it was pointed out, but this post is for your info @Bimble, you don't need a moderator to correct thread titles, at the top of the first post of a thread at the right hand is a drop down box titled thread tools with options, I used this to edit the title.

Last edited:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Right, back on topic.

I admired JRS. She was the quiet one of the cycling team, only notable by her rapidly changing and occasionally disappearing hair style. She did some punditry for the BBC at the last Olympics, and came across as very approachable.

Will miss her presence on the team. Her list of accomplishments puts her in the top category of track cyclists. She had an exceptional team around her for the team pursuit events, but there again, you had to be exceptional to get into the team, so any accusations of being carried by the others has to be well wide of the mark. I shall miss her somewhat cheeky smile, but probably the ability of her legs more. I hope that it won't be the end of the British Cycling Track reign, and that more will come along and eclipse her achievements, but regarless of the future, I hope that her name will be etched into British Cycling folklore.

Hightlights:
One of the team that broke the World Record every time they hit the track at London and Rio.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
And only on cycle chat can you be harangued for suggesting that a married woman is more likely to go by the title "Mrs" than "Ms". The latter is of course possible in the real world, but I've never come across it.
Quite a daring concept to allude to on cycle chat though, clearly.

Anyway, as someone that's always looked up to the achievements of Mrs / Miss / Ms / Mr Rowsell-Shand, I'm sad to see her retire... all the very best to a cycling great.

Top Bottom