Job centre fun...

bobg

Über Member
No.4 son decided to bestir himself an wander down to the Job Centre ( or whatever its called these days)) to find some work between now and the A level results. The woman told him he could pack fruit in the docks for 7 days a week for £5 an hour ??, he said what about bar work, she said he needed previous experience, he said how!! She said lie on your CV, he said what about references, she said tell the prospective employer that all his previous employers had emigrated or died
Dont you just love the professionalism....
 

longers

Veteran
How about belt and braces? They emigrated and then died.

Bit off if they're encouraging folk to lie for any reason. I'm guessing he's tried asking in person at pubs and clubs?
 
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
longers said:
How about belt and braces? They emigrated and then died.

Bit off if they're encouraging folk to lie for any reason. I'm guessing he's tried asking in person at pubs and clubs?
yeah, done all that Longers, I'd hate to be his age and facing all this. When I was a lad ...bla bla finish on a Friday, new job on a Monday bla bla bla
 

Maz

Legendary Member
bobg said:
She said lie on your CV, he said what about references, she said tell the prospective employer that all his previous employers had emigrated or died
Dont you just love the professionalism....
Professionalism? How do you think this woman got HER job?
 

snakehips

Well-Known Member
Hey , you pour a few drinks , you handle some change , you've got experience. You can get that sort of experience in your living room.
I once said (truthfully) that I had built and maintained a small Local Area Network. I didn't say who it was for (or which room of my house it was in)

Snake

My Library
 

Crankarm

Legendary Member
Location
Nr Cambridge
bobg said:
No.4 son decided to bestir himself an wander down to the Job Centre ( or whatever its called these days)) to find some work between now and the A level results. The woman told him he could pack fruit in the docks for 7 days a week for £5 an hour ??, he said what about bar work, she said he needed previous experience, he said how!! She said lie on your CV, he said what about references, she said tell the prospective employer that all his previous employers had emigrated or died
Dont you just love the professionalism....
I guess the National Minimum wage £5.83 an hour doesn't kick in until 22/23 years old?

Why would you want top do bar work? Really crap hours if on lates and then up again really early ready for opening. Plus all those drunk people. Yuk!
 
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Crankarm said:
Why would you want top do bar work? Really crap hours if on lates and then up again really early ready for opening. Plus all those drunk people. Yuk!
Probably to do with the fact that there are bars as far as the eye can see round here and little else available to the unskilled. Ironically the woman interviewing him in the job centre had the same degree that he wants and she said not to bother or he might end up like her! Nothing like a bit of encouragement....
 
Top Bottom