Job interview mistakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
this is by far a better indicator of their characater than the interview - one person was bragging about trashing the house of some neighbours while they were on holiday. Nice.
exactly what I meant!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
One bit of advice:

When the interviewer asks you

'And why would you like the job?'

DON'T say

'For the money'

I have never done it, but apparently some people do. :rolleyes:
I've said that - in effect. 'You have a reputation for paying well, and I've got expensive habits'

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Not asking to see the CV the agency had faxed the company before the interview started. But stopping the interview once I smelt a rat was good fun.

Enduring the worst ever interview technique from a middle manager, at the UK HQ of an american computer company who thought they were the centre of the solar system, who then offered me the job and when I declined went absolutely potty and potty mouthed, and followed me out across the open plan office to the exit berating me. The mistake? I should have slapped her about three minutes into the interview the first time she said F***.

Attempting to get a job at a creative/collaborative/cooperative niche technology firm resulted in my attending nine interviews, I was unemployed and getting desperate, only to be told someone at the first interview didn't think they could work with me! Years later I had the satisfaction of kicking these numpties off an FM contract for non-delivery.

I've walked out of 1 potential interview. I turned up and they handed me an application form to fill in there and then, when they were interviewing me on the strength of my CV. It became clear it was a delaying tactic as they were late. I found this unacceptable, asked the secretary to pass this on, walked out and sent them my travel expenses.

Another time, the guy interviewing turned up, went into a room, I went to follow him and he held his hand up and said I've just got to read your CV first. Wot! Anyway I liked the sound of the job so I stayed but it became clear during the interview, that had he read my CV prior to me turning up, he probably wouldn't have invited me as I didn't fit.

As an interviewer, I remember asking a woman what her reaction would be in a certain situation, how she would handle it. She replied by saying. well she wouldn't get angry at first......

During another interview, it became clear the guy we were interviewing was waaaay overqualified for the role. I looked at my colleague, who'd vetted this particular lot of CV's but he seemed happy to carry on, being very interested in the stories the candidate was telling us. I was not, I was embarrased and stopped the interview and apologised, explaining the role we had to offer was not suitable for his experience.

Another time, recruiting for a Cobol programmer we were struggling to get someone who would fit the role. The agency pressed one guy who I was reluctant to see but there being a dearth of candidates, eventually agreed. He travelled nearly 200 miles to us and started of by telling me of his dire circumstances. As I thought, he didn't fit but I felt enormous pressure and responsibility to take him on due to his circumstances, in fact it was like I had the full weight of his responsibilities on me. It was the hardest thing I've done to say no to him and then explain my justifications to him on the phone and refuse his supplications to be given a chance. It still haunts me to this day and made me take all subsequent interviews a lot more seriously.

PaulB

Legendary Member
[font="'Book Antiqua"]I just got a letter of confirmation from the Royal Mail saying that my interview was a success and I got the job and will be working as a postman for them.

I start 3 years ago.[/font]

JamesAC

Years ago I had an appointment for an job interview in the Civil Service. It was in room 212b, at 12:30, is it were.

So at 12:30, I knocked on the door of room 212b, and went in.

"Come in", said the chair of the panel

I sat down.

"Sit down", invited the chair of the panel.

"You may smoke if you wish", he continued.

"I don't smoke", I said, "but don't let that stop you if you want to!"

I didn't get the job.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I had an interview with a law firm. They invited all 4 candidates at the same time. We knew there would be some kind of joint "exercise" but no idea what.
We sat down one end of a long table and 4 people from the firm down the other end. We were then asked to individually choose a person living or dead and then give a talk about why they should be given a parachute to be saved from a crashing plane. We would then discuss among ourselves and decide which two should be saved. Now I have always been told to never discuss politics or religion at an interview. So when the other three chose Obama, The Queen and Prince Charles, I knew that subjective discussion was pointless.
They then gave the job to the candidate who had worked there previously. :angry:

I had a psychometric test for a support job at a school a couple of weeks ago. I have to rate the answers to various questions about how others saw me with 10 marks. There were 8 possible answers and I could give one answer all 10, 1 point to 7 answers and 3 to the 8th or any permutation in between.

rusky

CC Addict
I was interviewing a couple of years ago. One candidate called up to ask if we could postpone the interview as he had broken his arm when he fell off a roof while being chased by the police!

rusky

CC Addict
Then there was the guy that I interviewed for a manual job. Turned up with a briefcase, sat clutching it on his lap the entire time & would not make eye contact at all, answering my questions looking out the window!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Following on from the CV thread, my starter for 10 on what not to say at interviews. Both my examples are ones I witnessed personally, so no hearsay

1 To candidate for a management role in huge insurance co. He had lived for 30 yrs plus in South Africa, and had been back in the UK for 6 months or so. I asked him what size of teams he had managed. He told me it was "about 60 people, but 40 of them were black and we only count them as half"

Over to you!

That reminds me of some South African golfer who said, after winning some big competition in the 70's... "This is great for South Africa, we're only a small country with 7 million people." ... He failed to consider the 35 million population of black South Africans. :ohmy:

I had a dreadful interview at Halfords years ago... the interviewer must have grabbed his questions off the internet which were geared towards some high end marketing job... rather than a low end sales guy who can mend a bike. He asked me how I felt about 'pushing' the Apollo range... I sniggered and said they were shite... he went quiet for a moment, before saying "Well I think that's everything."

edit... my latest interview.

emailed a company with my CV who were looking for a copy writer. Rang them up a week later as I'd heard nothing back.. turns out I'd forgotten to attach my CV to the email... and normally these applicants go straight in the bin... so I apologised and sent my CV there and then. A few days later they rang me and arranged a meeting... I don't know about anybody else but I've never had an interview in the back of a car in a car park before... I start tomorrow :smile:

Top Bottom