Jockey Wheel Maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
On the bikes I use regularly, annually. I run kcnc alloy jockey and idler wheels on 2 of my bikes, which simplifies things as they're sealed roller bearing.

I replace them with every chain and cassette change, I pay special attention to them when cleaning the drive train, the screws sometimes work loose over time, it's always worth checking they are torqued up right.

Broadside

Guru
[QUOTE 4666570, member: 9609"]How often if ever do you rebuild them and how do you lube them ?

This time of year (winter) with the wet salty roads I dismantle them about once a month (400mile) clean them up and rebuild with a water proof (marine) grease. I never bother trying to oil between rebuilds.

Just wondering how do others maintain theirs ?[/QUOTE]

Aside from wiping them clean I have never done anything with jockey wheels. My main bike rear derailleur has got 12,000 miles on it and the gear shifting is not brilliant, I am wondering if some new jockey wheels would make a difference.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm like Broadside, I've cleaned them and given them a GT85 spray and an oil (a little tiny squeeze into the pinion), and that's it. I've never given them much thought other than that. I didn't know you could strip and rebuild, if I'm honest.

That gives me something else to worry about late at night now. Thanks. :dry:

Milzy

Guru
I'll be going for Hope Jockey wheel set. £30 a set is steep and might be fitting to 3 bikes. :/

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
When they squeak.
I'm with crax on this, they will tell you when it is time.

I replace them with every chain and cassette change, I pay special attention to them when cleaning the drive train, the screws sometimes work loose over time, it's always worth checking they are torqued up right.
Well you are definitely doing something wrong, maybe fiddling with them too much? Never had a jockey wheel bolt come loose and certainly not had any appreciable wear in the life of a chain. Perhaps you should consider reviewing your lube regime?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Don't jockey wheels usually have a dab of loctite on the thread to stop them loosening?
I lubricate and wipe mine over when cleaning the chain and cassette, and make sure there's no buildup of crud. That's about it really.

Flash back discussion with mechanic at Evans, Canary Wharf: "... and your jockey wheels are worn" "no, they're new" "who replaced them?" "me"

Pause while I expected him to explain how I'd incorrectly fitted them and caused excessive wear or something, but no. Silence. He'd just been lying to me to increase the repair cost.

(this was when I'd bought my bike in after a collision. Item he didn't mention : bent rim so the front wheel would rotate. I took my bicycle away from him)

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 4667123, member: 45"]I replace them when the teeth get sharp. Other than that I wipe the crud off the teeth with a baby wipe when they need it, and take them out and clean them up when I feel like it.[/QUOTE]
Planet killer ;)

Same here. When I clean and lube chain ( every fecking day at moment) wheels get crud cleaned off and a drop of oil as close to bolt as possible.

I can't see point of changing wheels as a new RD is only a few quid dearer than Hope jockey wheels and the old one can be kept for repairs when some scrote trashes it while chained up

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
[QUOTE 4667270, member: 9609"]The jockey wheels have roller bearings ?
with the chain off can you flick them and watch them spin effortlessly, I know traditional jockey wheels sap next to no energy and seem to last indefinitely but I would like frictionless bearings that just spin.[/QUOTE]
Sealed means drag, you can't escape that. Open bearings will be almost friction free but will soon get full of crap and require frequent servicing to replace lost lube.

Top Bottom