Jockey wheels; Bearing or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Having used both, I'd stick to the plain bushings.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
'Add value' request was addressed to @rogerzilla
I was just saying that the two sets cost much the same. I'd also surmise that your "DA jockey wheels have been running sweetly since 2004" with a low annual mileage.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
'Add value' request was addressed to @rogerzilla
I was just saying that the two sets cost much the same. I'd also surmise that your "DA jockey wheels have been running sweetly since 2004" with a low annual mileage.
Oh I’ve no idea how far, but a fair amount in all weathers most weeks of the year. A very conservative calc would give me 20k miles.

Ajax Bay

Guru
My ninjas needed replacing (see image; includes relatively new one for comparison). I suspect that they were the originals (ie with the 105 RD) so had about 20,000km on them (Jan 18)
Replaced with basic sealed roller bearing ones (£10 the pair from my LBS).
IMG_0789[1].JPG

The basic sealed roller bearing ones I fitted two years ago have done 22000km. They are still "running sweetly" and are not yet ready for ninja weapon duties.

Just had my mech apart on my cube attempt which is my winter bike. It’s a 105 10 speed with a triple on the front but it’s knocking on a bit now. The jockey wheels are of the bush and shim type rather than a bearing. Gave them a good clean and a tot of grease and they’re as free as a bird!
Sadly the rear mech is quite worn (There’s some play in the cage when I move it by hand) so can’t quite get the indexing right with it. Another project once I’ve got enough pennies after paying for di2 to be installed on my Domane.....

Top Bottom