Joggers v Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I've often been overtaken by runners on very steep hills when I've been on a bike. I also find that I can run much faster than I can ride up the same hills.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I used to run/jog years ago but like others the stress on the knees and hips made it more uncomfy than enjoyable. I then turned to swimming where i used to pump out the lenghts at the local swimming baths, but baths aren't always open when you want a swim and many sessions were interrupted by types who treat the pool as a play area (diving in in front of you,swimming across your path) rather than a sporting area.
I took up cycling again after not having been on a bike since school days, to get to work and back. I found it mostly enjoyable and unlike running and swimming you can coast when you want a bit of a rest.
Perhaps one day someone will invent a sport that involves running swimming and cycling combined?!:rolleyes:

IanT

http://www.sprocketwaffle.co.uk
I started running in earnest about 6 months ago and now punch out a 7 mile route early in the morning three days a week. As Primal Scream observes, you get you music going, get in the zone and the miles fly by. I'm fortunate in that we have some local woods so at least half of my route is on soft woodland trails. And, beleive me, on a morning like this morning the last thing you want to do is get out of bed at 05:00 for 15 minutes of stretching and prep but as I'm running through the woods with Coldplay pumping through the earphones, a firey red sun breaking through the haze between the trees and that lovely autumnal taste in the air, there is nowhere I would rather be..........other than on my bike somewhere, of course.

Before taking the running up too seriously, I did get some advice on trainers - had a gait analysis and got a pair that support and cushion in just the right places. I've had no problems - but know poeple who just nip into Sports Direct, pick up a pair of trainers that look good and go running in those. They do seem to suffer.

I honestly beleive that the running has helped my hill climbing on the bike - out of the seat efforts seem easier and more sustainable than before and long drag climbs don't seem to take as much out of me. Also, you definitely burn a lot of calories on a run - probably because you are supporting your own body weight.

Either way, running or cycling, it's all good. Each to their own - the main thing is that we are all out there doing stuff, keeping fit and enjoying the great outdoors. Long may it continue.

Lee_M

Guru
I cant run anymore due to a back operation and dodgy knees, but I never ever 'got into the zone', it only ever got harder and harder as the distance got further, at no point did I ever get into a balance in the way I can on a bike

I know its possible as SWMBO is a runner and can run all day - but for me? nope never

Top Bottom