Joggers v Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sidevalve

Über Member
Don't worry this is no major conflict brewing in the sidestreets.
Just out the driving about [in the car sadly] last weekend and began to notice a stark contrast between cyclists and joggers. Most of the riders seemed, well, pretty ok really, even on the uphill bits. Some were blowing a bit but basically going fine. Most [ok, five out of the six] joggers seemed in SERIOUS pain. One guy, [looked fortyish] was really scary, looked as though he was about to have a heart job on the pavement. This was no exhaustive survey just a quick observation and I'm sure there are loads of fit joggers out there but for me, the bike seems a less painfull way to keep fit.

Pauluk

I agree sidevalve, jogging is bad for you in my opinion unless you are a slim-Jim. Too much shock to the knees and hips.

oldroadman

Veteran
Good in the winter for keeping weight down, only on soft surfaces to minimise joint shock. Weight just falls off after a few weeks, as wattage is quite high and everything is moving. Good for heart/lung function. Bloomin miserable though, a good driver to keep the weight off in the first place!

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I run or jog at 19 stone and was heavier when i started :smile: I've never suffered with any joint pain/strain from running despite running 3 times a week and distances upto 17 miles. Admitedly im not particularly fast, bests about 24min 5k, 54min 10k, 1hr55 HM, but im often twice the size of most of the runners around me so im plenty happy :smile:

Im sure some cyclists do train very very hard, but the majority I see are pootling around effortwise, where as the majority of runners are pushing themselves pretty hard. I love how hard it makes me push myself though and the endorfin rush is immense and addictive :smile:

boydj

Legendary Member
When you cycle, you only work as hard as you want to most of the time (steep hills excepted), whereas with running, there's a minimum amount of effort needed just to keep going, and no opportunity to coast. Cycling is so efficient and much easier on the body, so it's ideal for the long, slow distance efforts that are good for weight loss.

Pauluk

Good on you then Mr Jamie and oldroadman :thumbsup: , each to his own. I just think that if you do it for a long period of time (years) it will take its toll on the joints, but that's only my opinion. Anyway its far better than nothing and for me, a lot harder than cycling so a little bit of envy here. Hope you keep it up and carry on enjoying it.

wmtlynx

I've jogged the 8 miles home from work to add variety a few times. When I arrive home I'm ready to pass out. Takes less than half the time to cycle the journey and I feel refreshed afterwards. I do like a jog though, as I can listen to music and go absolutely flat out in bursts if a good song comes on. Flat out on the bike seems way too quick and I generally bottle it above 30. Still don't think there is a better feeling than going as fast as you can :-)

annaspanna

We run and cycle (altho obv not at same time ;-)). Running probably takes the edge for me cause I have to work harder therefore feel more of an achievement. The wonderful thing is that after a heavy run, cycling is fine cause of the different muscle groups used. Cycling keeps me fit when I can't run and running pushes me harder when I'm cycling! A very happy partnership in my world :-)

gbb

Legendary Member
Speaking from my limited experience, at 40ish, I used to jog about 6 miles 3 or 4 times a week. Once you got used to it, you just breeze alongw. Buti did quickly find myself getting shin splints, stitch and knee problems. Once something begins to hurt, it hurts bad. Thats highlights the difference between jogging and cycling, it requires quite specific shoes, and running style or technique. Do it wrong ( and I suspect many do ) it's going to bite you.
Cycling for the most part, jump on a bike, off you go.

Unlike wmt above, pushing myself hard while jogging was a no no, it'd soon have me screaming, while at 54 , I can push hard hard hard on a bike for two hours, arrive home drenched in sweat, lungs burning, but recover within 15 minutes.

When running the average heart rate is higher. When you hit a hill you should use gears bit like a bike but it will still be hard work.
I would be interested too see who could climb a steep short hill quicker a runner or a cyclist. My money would be the runner as long as it was steep

annaspanna

Buti did quickly find myself getting shin splints.

That's usually a trainer issue just in case you ever fancied hitting the pavements again.

And yes, when it hurts it gets bad.. Am out on an injury at the moment.. But it does mean more bike time and the new roady... So silver lining and all that :-)

Eddie

I usually take it much easier running than I do cycling. Getting exhausted half way round a long run is no fun at all. I don't think I've ever properly run out of steam on a bike, and even when I've been dead on the saddle, I can still do 12-15mph. So it's never going to be a problem getting home. The same can't be said for running!

Raging Squirrel

my dad has had 2 guys keel over and die from heart attackes when he's been fishing on seperate occasions. The first guy was in his 50's at the time and was out running with his grand kids, my dad had to jump on his motorbike to go and get help and leave the kids their with their dead grandad (before mobile phones were out)

Top Bottom