JOGLE May 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deanE

I will be in a party of 4 starting a 14 day JOGLE on May 4. We shall be flying to Wick and then cycling up to JOG. I have just started looking for accommodation and with the following Monday being may day BH it may be that the most central places are booked up. So we may need to stay a few miles outside JOG. We want to do Dunnet Head as well so one thought was to cycle up through JOG on the Friday afternoon, stop on road to Dunnet Head that evening and then carry on our merry way the following morning. What arrangements are there at JOG for “formalising” the kick off? Do End2enders just take their own photo and start or is there an official stamp? If the latter, what are the times when this is available?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I don't think there's any official stamp. When we went there in June there was a signpost that you could pay to have a photo taken in front of, or another on the wall of the harbour which was free.

Be warned JOG is not exactly picturesque!

robgul

Legendary Member
Go to the Seaview Hotel (on the right as you approach JOG) and they run the "E2E book" that gives you a bit of paper and a stamp that creates proof of passage until you get to the Land's End Hotel where they administer it.

Picture - IF the photographer is there then you'll get a picture with the sign - there's a phone to call if he's not there (failed to answer when we were there) .... we got a pic with just the post and then photo-shopped the arms of the sign with our names and date ^_^

... and why not add your ride to the calendar at www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk ?

Rob

OP
OP
deanE

deanE

Go to the Seaview Hotel (on the right as you approach JOG) and they run the "E2E book" that gives you a bit of paper and a stamp that creates proof of passage until you get to the Land's End Hotel where they administer it.

Picture - IF the photographer is there then you'll get a picture with the sign - there's a phone to call if he's not there (failed to answer when we were there) .... we got a pic with just the post and then photo-shopped the arms of the sign with our names and date ^_^

... and why not add your ride to the calendar at www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk ?

Rob
Thanks Rob. Excellent site you manage and I have already listed the ride, although I will need to amend the dates as we are starting a day earlier.

OP
OP
deanE

deanE

Day 3 of our route sees us going from Conon Bridge/Dingwell via the A833 and Muir of Ord across to Loch Ness at Drumnadrochit, and on to Fort Augustus and Fort William. Any views on modifying this to take us into Inverness and down the other side of the Loch?

Thomk

Guru
Don't know whether it's a good idea but I have cycled that side of the loch through Foyers and it's very picturesque. Nice cafe in Foyers as well.

GoForIt

I just completed a winter cycling JOGLE and at 8am on a cold January 5th morning (still dark at JOG) I met the John O'Groats Hotel Site Development Manager for an interesting 5 minute chat.

JOG is an acknowledged dive but they are trying to improve it right now. The Hotel is currently being renovated, but what may be relevant to you regards accomodation is that they have built some very nice cabins on the site and these are in use. Not sure what the website is but worth having a hunt as they didn't come up by default when I was looking recently hence if you can find it then I reckon you'd have a good chance one may be free for the dates of your trip. If you are really stuck then you could overnight in Wick as there are quite a few taxi companies available that could take you and your bikes from Wick (or Thurso) to JOG.

Regards the Loch Ness route. I suggest you keep to the North side as a) the route in is much nicer and you can avoid going any where near Inverness, and b) the B862 on the south side as sime significant hills (if you wanted to avoid them) whereas the A82 pretty much tracks the lochside.

I had a great ride - I hope you have a good one too.

robgul

Legendary Member
Day 3 of our route sees us going from Conon Bridge/Dingwell via the A833 and Muir of Ord across to Loch Ness at Drumnadrochit, and on to Fort Augustus and Fort William. Any views on modifying this to take us into Inverness and down the other side of the Loch?

I'd say that the A82 side of Loch Ness is easier .... but it's a long, long drag up from Beauly before you drop down a massive hill to Drumnadrochit (good cafe on the left just after you reach the A82 - at the back of the green - opposite the shop/post office) and Loch Ness - from there to Fort William it just undulates .. some traffic on the A82 - I rode S on a Sat PM and N on a Thursday AM .. no problem.

Rob

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The South side of Loch Ness does indeed have some significant hills (to give you an idea, they were istalling a hydro plant when I went up there in 2011. From memory the really steep road was from Fort Augustus up to the Suide viewpoint, so you would have a rather steep decent to contend with there.

The road also passes though a lot of woodland along the side of the loch so I'm not sure how good a view would get along there.

There's a good position looking straight down the lake from just along the south road out of Ft. Augustus which may be worth stopping off for en route whichever way you go: -

IMG_0096.JPG

(it was raining when I took that)

OP
OP
deanE

deanE

I'd say that the A82 side of Loch Ness is easier .... but it's a long, long drag up from Beauly before you drop down a massive hill to Drumnadrochit (good cafe on the left just after you reach the A82 - at the back of the green - opposite the shop/post office) and Loch Ness - from there to Fort William it just undulates .. some traffic on the A82 - I rode S on a Sat PM and N on a Thursday AM .. no problem.

Rob
Thanks
I thought I had my route sorted, until I started to try to book accommodation. Difficult to keep to daily limits and still end up somewhere near a bed.

theloafer

Legendary Member
Thanks
I thought I had my route sorted, until I started to try to book accommodation. Difficult to keep to daily limits and still end up somewhere near a bed.

hi deanE....the joys of planning route and accommodation...^_^ all part of the fun..hope all go,s well done it twice its a brill trip ..one you will never forget:thumbsup:

Top Bottom