JOGLE May 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
deanE

deanE

Morning Dean, I have just seen one of your group out on a ride this morning, how strange it was to find out that I am doing the same gogle trip on the same day as you guy's. I will be with my father in law and hope to take 2 weeks to finish. ?.
Hi, What route are you taking? Where are you staying on evening before you start?

OP
OP
deanE

deanE

Weather forecast is continuing cold weather for next month! Having plans to start my JOGLE on Saturday 4 May the possibility of snow and ice remaining on the roads is about the only thing I hadn't planned for. Has anyone here bought travel insurance for a JOGLE and made a claim if weather has stopped them starting or continuing. Most of my accommodation can be cancelled within a couple of days of the start, so it is only the flight to Wick, and cost of courier to get my bike back, that is at risk.

OB1Knobby

Hi, What route are you taking? Where are you staying on evening before you start?
Hi Dean, I'm replying for Sarum (Steve). We are staying at the "Broo" KW1 4YR, on the Friday night and leaving early Sat heading west along the top to Betty Hill then south along the B871 & 873 to the Crask Inn, well just past as the Crask is full, mainly anglers. Our aim then is to reach Inverness then over towards Oban and the isle of Arran. We are hoping the weather will improve however it would be nice if the northerly/easterly winds continued. I expect Steve will contact you when able. Hopefully we will meet at JOG on the 4th.

OP
OP
deanE

deanE

Hi Dean, I'm replying for Sarum (Steve). We are staying at the "Broo" KW1 4YR, on the Friday night and leaving early Sat heading west along the top to Betty Hill then south along the B871 & 873 to the Crask Inn, well just past as the Crask is full, mainly anglers. Our aim then is to reach Inverness then over towards Oban and the isle of Arran. We are hoping the weather will improve however it would be nice if the northerly/easterly winds continued. I expect Steve will contact you when able. Hopefully we will meet at JOG on the 4th.
Thanks. We are at the Seaview on the Friday but visiting Dunnet head after starting on Saturday then turning South to bring us down to Helmsdale for end of day one. Our route is around 100K per day.

OP
OP
deanE

deanE

Looks like it could be easterlies for fair bit of the trip.

OP
OP
deanE

deanE

Bike collected by courier yesterday so count down to next week’s JOGLE has started. Flying Exeter to Wick, via Manchester and edinburgh, on friday morning, week today, and head back South on Saturday.

sarum

Picking the hire car up next Thursday and heading up to wick then riding to jog ready for our ride back home. Good luck to you and my see you friday night.

OP
OP
deanE

deanE

Got back to Falmouth Thursday eve and did the last leg, to the Lizard and lands End on Friday. Picked up a severe bug on day 5, between Craiglarich and Larkall, with sickness and the runs, so had to stay over at Larkall for a day and it was a few days before I was eating again properly. However, I caught up on the days from Monmouth to Wellington (90 miles) and Wellington to home in Falmouth (122 miles) so completed as planned in 14 days total. Weather was atrocious!

sarum

Hi Dean,
Yes the weather was atrocious!!! The first Sunday into Inverness was dry and the first Tuesday into Oben was sunny.... The rest of the days were wet and windy. We left Okehampton on the Thursday morning (after seeing 2 of your guys in Tiverton the day before) and got to Newquay for a night at home early afternoon. We then finished our ride on Friday. We could do nothing about the weather but IF I do it again I would start from Lands End. Well done to you all.

OP
OP
deanE

deanE

Hi Dean,
Yes the weather was atrocious!!! The first Sunday into Inverness was dry and the first Tuesday into Oben was sunny.... The rest of the days were wet and windy. We left Okehampton on the Thursday morning (after seeing 2 of your guys in Tiverton the day before) and got to Newquay for a night at home early afternoon. We then finished our ride on Friday. We could do nothing about the weather but IF I do it again I would start from Lands End. Well done to you all.
They mentioned that they had seen you. You missed the hail in Okehampton on Thursday lunchtime. I think the hills would be worse the other way but more than compensated for by lack of head wind. Never noticed the wind on my back at any time. Well done to you too. Takes a few days to come back down to earth, doesn’t it.

Top Bottom