JOGLE May 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wintonbina

Über Member
So is the considered opinion that such a route is doable with a compact or better have a triple? When I say doable I mean comfortable on the hills...im not a TDF climber
Both are acceptable. If you aren't the quickest & are prepared to doodle up the hills then (in my opinion:rolleyes:) there's not much difference, but for the quick guys there might be!!!!

OP
OP
deanE

deanE

I had planned to come down the A9, through Helmsdale, but hill at Berrisdale has made me look at going across to Tongue and turning South there. Heard some bad reports about A9 but any views here? Certainly looks less hilly overall.

robgul

Legendary Member
I had planned to come down the A9, through Helmsdale, but hill at Berrisdale has made me look at going across to Tongue and turning South there. Heard some bad reports about A9 but any views here? Certainly looks less hilly overall.

Having done the Helmsdale to JOG bit both ways it's not very busy, road is wide for the most part (and there's a new bit just N of Helmsdale) ... Berriedale Braes is a very deep hole .. but not very long - I think S-N is probably the steeper direction on the uphill side.

Rob

bianchi1

Guru
Putting together a "must take" list. Is it a good idea to carry spare spokes?

I wouldn't bother, as if they go on the drive side you would need a Cassete remover and a chain whip tool thing as well. You should be able to tension the non broken spokes enough to get you to a bike shop.

OP
OP
deanE

deanE

I wouldn't bother, as if they go on the drive side you would need a Cassete remover and a chain whip tool thing as well. You should be able to tension the non broken spokes enough to get you to a bike shop.
thanks, I’ll leave out the chain whip and cassette remover too!

OP
OP
deanE

deanE

Having done the Helmsdale to JOG bit both ways it's not very busy, road is wide for the most part (and there's a new bit just N of Helmsdale) ... Berriedale Braes is a very deep hole .. but not very long - I think S-N is probably the steeper direction on the uphill side.

Rob
thanks Rob

bianchi1

Guru
thanks, I’ll leave out the chain whip and cassette remover too!

It's always a pay off between what to take and what to leave, peace of mind is worth a bit if extra weight. That said its possible to find yourself carrying almost a spare group set only to have a hub split (this happened to me as a was descending in the alps and I managed to limp 20 k home)

I will keep my fingers crossed that non of your spokes go!

OP
OP
deanE

deanE

Route sorted, accommodation booked. Currently doing at least 100 miles a week including at least one 100K, with ballast, which is planned daily ride. JOGLE planned for 3 May. Should I be doing more?

wintonbina

Über Member
Route sorted, accommodation booked. Currently doing at least 100 miles a week including at least one 100K, with ballast, which is planned daily ride. JOGLE planned for 3 May. Should I be doing more?
I would be looking to do at least 2 big rides on the weekends and maybe looking to do 30+ miles per day during the week up to mid april then ease off in the last couple of weeks!
Good luck and enjoy the trip!

snorri

Legendary Member
Be warned JOG is not exactly picturesque!

I don't know what people expect to see there, it gets a bad press!

There's usually something to see at the harbour, spend time there deliberating over a trip on the ferry to Orkney, or you can go beachcombing and see the shipping going through the Pentland Firth, see where it's going on www.marinetraffic.com , the world's your oyster there.
Take a spin along to the nearby lighthouse at Duncansby Head and see how many islands you can identify in Orkney, look for the wreck of the Ben Barvas on the Pentland Skerries. You can see St Magnus Cathedral in Kirkwall on a fine day. Get a friend to sit on your feet as you hang over the cliff edge watching a variety of sea birds wheeling about far below. The cliff scenery there equals anything you will see anywhere in the UK, particularly in the morning light. I had a job dragging myself away from JOG on my last visit in December, must try to get back before the tourist season starts again.:smile:

Here is the website for the chalet accomm. at JOG,
http://www.naturalretreats.co.uk/john-o-groats/luxury-self-catering-holiday-residences.php
looks expensive:rolleyes:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I don't think there's any official stamp. When we went there in June there was a signpost that you could pay to have a photo taken in front of, or another on the wall of the harbour which was free.

not picturesque !! its bloody bleak when its raining and windy :cold:

OP
OP
deanE

deanE

I don't know what people expect to see there, it gets a bad press!

There's usually something to see at the harbour, spend time there deliberating over a trip on the ferry to Orkney, or you can go beachcombing and see the shipping going through the Pentland Firth, see where it's going on www.marinetraffic.com , the world's your oyster there.
Take a spin along to the nearby lighthouse at Duncansby Head and see how many islands you can identify in Orkney, look for the wreck of the Ben Barvas on the Pentland Skerries. You can see St Magnus Cathedral in Kirkwall on a fine day. Get a friend to sit on your feet as you hang over the cliff edge watching a variety of sea birds wheeling about far below. The cliff scenery there equals anything you will see anywhere in the UK, particularly in the morning light. I had a job dragging myself away from JOG on my last visit in December, must try to get back before the tourist season starts again.:smile:

Here is the website for the chalet accomm. at JOG,
http://www.naturalretreats.co.uk/john-o-groats/luxury-self-catering-holiday-residences.php
looks expensive:rolleyes:
Thanks. No doubt I will want to go back, without a time schedule

sarum

Morning Dean, I have just seen one of your group out on a ride this morning, how strange it was to find out that I am doing the same gogle trip on the same day as you guy's. I will be with my father in law and hope to take 2 weeks to finish. ?.

Top Bottom