JOGLE May 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Getting to John O'Groats from Leeds seems to be a little more complicated. Trying to find a way that doesn't take 10 hours or so but not having much luck, think that will just be a long day on the trains.
As you've doubtless discovered, the Edinburgh - Inverness and Inverness - Wick trains are around 8 hours in total, so with wait times between trains, sub ten hours will be challenging.
There are flights from Manchester to Inverness: so train to Manchester, fly to Inverness, then train to Wick? Probably not much quicker than taking the train all the way, if at all.
A longer option, but perhaps less stressful: train to Preston, Caledonian Sleeper to Inverness, then train to Wick. You might even get half a day's cycling in after reaching Wick.
You could book a bike 'taxi' between Inverness and JoG. Perhaps slightly quicker than the final leg by train, but dearer.
once I have accommodation sorted will be posting food parcels to arrive a few days before me
Just wondered what your thinking was on this? Are you worried you might not be able to get food on the road or at your overnight stopovers?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Now the down side to the ferry idea is that they don't sail on a Monday from Aberdeen to Burwick, which is a shame as the plan was starting to come together.
currently on a winter timetable after a lock down. I suggest you check when the summer timetable is out, it might all fall into place

OP
OP
S

Spikeb87

Regular
As you've doubtless discovered, the Edinburgh - Inverness and Inverness - Wick trains are around 8 hours in total, so with wait times between trains, sub ten hours will be challenging.
There are flights from Manchester to Inverness: so train to Manchester, fly to Inverness, then train to Wick? Probably not much quicker than taking the train all the way, if at all.
A longer option, but perhaps less stressful: train to Preston, Caledonian Sleeper to Inverness, then train to Wick. You might even get half a day's cycling in after reaching Wick.
You could book a bike 'taxi' between Inverness and JoG. Perhaps slightly quicker than the final leg by train, but dearer.

Just wondered what your thinking was on this? Are you worried you might not be able to get food on the road or at your overnight stopovers?

Thanks Ian, appreciate the comments there.

Yes, have had a look at the flights from Manchester, but as you say it doesn't seem to be much of a saving in time really for the effort. Will certainly look at the sleeper train, had thought that it only went from London so will take a look over the weekend and see, might be an idea.
I have looked at the bike taxi, need to give them a call and discuss it. Will be taking a look at all these bits a bit more over the weekend so thanks for the input.

Regarding sending the food, this is not every day, but every few days to top me up with food on the go such as cereal bars/Soreen and energy gels which I use to keep me going between meals. Was thinking that if I did this then it is one less thing to worry about while on the road, and saves me lugging 10 days worth from the off.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
We did LEJOG this summer so looking at it in reverse...

We travelled home from Wick in a one way rental car to Manchester (I am sure Leeds is possible too). One ways aren't cheap but it was a lot less hassle than the train.

Ours was 10 days rather than 9. I've got loads of info on routings, B&B recommendations, cafes etc etc. Just DM me if you want anything. We were delighted with our routing, accommodation, cafes etc

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

You can knock 30 mins off the train by getting it to Thurso instead. Only 3 miles extra over Wick cycling to JOG. Since you got off 30 mins earlier you still get to JOG earlier.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Regarding sending the food, this is not every day, but every few days to top me up with food on the go such as cereal bars/Soreen and energy gels which I use to keep me going between meals.
Your call but you'll be amazed how many shops there are, open, when and wherever you need them in this populated isle of ours. Carry the absolute minimum. Can buy a takeway before a final couple of hours on a long day. Otherwise if eating at overnight location, make sure the place to eat is close: you will not want to get back on your bike (is locked away) and also not wish to walk far. B&B with pub serving food is excellent option. Spoilt for choice if in town/city (eg Shrewsbury) with 3 days to go.

Energy gels? You just need to eat real food. Have a think about how many pence per calorie a gel is compared to cashews/peanuts or a ginger cake (other foods of various calorific value are available, including Soreen).
I sent a small package half way (Lancaster): spare (dry clean) socks, spare spoke (was being pessimistic), (decanted from a tub) sachets of preferred Hi5 powder (realised that was a waste of time). And a shoe box to my 'end' which for me was Aberdeen after the ferry back from Kirkwall: with short, t-shirt, socks/pants/shoes in, to make the air/train trip more civilised for those sitting alongside me.

OP
OP
S

Spikeb87

Regular
You can knock 30 mins off the train by getting it to Thurso instead. Only 3 miles extra over Wick cycling to JOG. Since you got off 30 mins earlier you still get to JOG earlier.

True, but at the moment I am working out how best to get there rather than splitting hairs over a few miles here and there 🙂

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
True, but at the moment I am working out how best to get there rather than splitting hairs over a few miles here and there 🙂

I wouldn’t say 30 mins less on a train was splitting hairs. It’s somewhat more than that. You already know how to get there. The choices have been laid out. There’s no flights to Wick. You have train or bike taxi from Inverness, ferry from Aberdeen or one way car / van hire.

OP
OP
S

Spikeb87

Regular
I wouldn’t say 30 mins less on a train was splitting hairs. It’s somewhat more than that. You already know how to get there. The choices have been laid out. There’s no flights to Wick. You have train or bike taxi from Inverness, ferry from Aberdeen or one way car / van hire.

Yes, have the options,, working out which one is best, and also which ones work with timings and start points etc.

Which way did you get to/from JOG out of interest Ming, or are you local enough it wasn't a problem?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Yes, have the options,, working out which one is best, and also which ones work with timings and start points etc.

Which way did you get to/from JOG out of interest Ming, or are you local enough it wasn't a problem?

LEJOG direction. You can finish at JOG. Enjoy a pint. 6:45pm ferry from Gills Bay. Cycle up to Kirkwall. Evening meal. Overnight ferry to Aberdeen. Train home. No need to overnight in JOG. Other way as already covered above.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
If you did a LEJOG you can get an overnight ferry. Finish, head to ferry to Orkney. Ride up to Kirkwall. Overnight ferry. Train Aberdeen - Leeds.

Going the other way you need to get to Aberdeen for about 4pm. Ferry leaves 5pm and arrives Kirkwall 11pm. Book some accommodation on Orkney. Get the 7:45am ferry from St Margarets. Start riding an hour or so later
Not looked up the current timetable but it did not go to Kirkwall every day in the past. Only alternate days and a 7.00pm start from Aberdeen direct to Lerwick.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Not looked up the current timetable but it did not go to Kirkwall every day in the past. Only alternate days and a 7.00pm start from Aberdeen direct to Lerwick.

Not every day but easy enough to plan to arrive on a day it does sail. Trick is to not have a schedule so taut it’ll break at the slightest shortened day.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
You arrive at 11pm. Hardly midnight.

It’s 15 miles or so from Kirkwall to St Margaret’s . You could leave 6:30am for the 7:45am ferry. Sunrise will be 4:30am or earlier from mid May. You’ll be setting off a full two hours after sunrise. You could of course ride part way off ferry and then not getting going next day till shortly after 7am.

Either way, Crack of dawn it isn’t
There is another ferry which runs from the southern tip of Orkney mainland to John o' Groats. It is a passenger tourist trip mainly but I see no problem getting a bike on board. It does several runs every day tho' I have not been that way for a few years. I remember seeing bikes going on board so it used to be possible.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Yes, @oldwheels Burwick-JoG (see link in earlier post) (summer only, from May-Sep). 30km to Kirkwall from Burwick, over short causeways between the islands, closed to reduce hostile submarine incursion to Scapa Flow. I finished my last day (from Crask Inn) and caught the 1630. Fall back option was the ferry from Gils Bay (about 7km from JoG).
To address the 'every 2 days' challenge of the Kirkwall to Aberdeen ferry (and providing illustration to the OP's Q&A with Ming), I allowed 10 days 'in case' and if the weather had been benign (it wasn't) I'd have ridden the Mainland on the 'spare' day. But in theory (iyswim) I finished my end-to-end at 1530, caught the ferry, rode to Kirkwall (maybe by 1930), long supper and drinks, and later that evening rode the 2 miles to the Aberdeen ferry, for 2300, ETD 2330, reclining sleeper chair in dark quiet room (shower access), ETA Aberdeen 0700, bike shop (0800 (arranged)), minor dismantle bike and box up in cardboard box from the shop plus pipe insulation and tape (Amazon to shop, clothing shoe box posted to shop)), bus to the airport (Dyce), catch the 1130 flight to Heathrow (bike (or golf clubs) went free), bus to work place, checking e-mails (etc) by mid afternoon, less than 24 hours after arriving at the signpost overlooking the Pentland Firth. [<£120 JoG to London]

Top Bottom