JOGLE May 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Yes, @oldwheels Burwick-JoG (see link in earlier post) (summer only, from May-Sep). 30km to Kirkwall from Burwick, over short causeways between the islands, closed to reduce hostile submarine incursion to Scapa Flow. I finished my last day (from Crask Inn) and caught the 1630. Fall back option was the ferry from Gils Bay (about 7km from JoG).
To address the 'every 2 days' challenge of the Kirkwall to Aberdeen ferry (and providing illustration to the OP's Q&A with Ming), I allowed 10 days 'in case' and if the weather had been benign (it wasn't) I'd have ridden the Mainland on the 'spare' day. But in theory (iyswim) I finished my end-to-end at 1530, caught the ferry, rode to Kirkwall (maybe by 1930), long supper and drinks, and later that evening rode the 2 miles to the Aberdeen ferry, for 2300, ETD 2330, reclining sleeper chair in dark quiet room (shower access), ETA Aberdeen 0700, bike shop (0800 (arranged)), minor dismantle bike and box up in cardboard box from the shop plus pipe insulation and tape (Amazon to shop, clothing shoe box posted to shop)), bus to the airport (Dyce), catch the 1130 flight to Heathrow (bike (or golf clubs) went free), bus to work place, checking e-mails (etc) by mid afternoon, less than 24 hours after arriving at the signpost overlooking the Pentland Firth. [<£120 JoG to London]
I know the whole area you mention well as my ancestors had Crask Inn and I have spent a lot of time cycling around Orkney and Caithness as well as Shetland. I was looking for a picture of the small ferry but the only print is not my best shot as most were on transparencies.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Lovely pic. Makes me want to get away touring. Luckily I have a mini tour planned for end of month.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Ref rear mudguard: No, I removed it at 700km, but therein lies a tale.
New (to me) bike to ride. Giant SR2(?) 28mm tyres as bought. Front's sidewall bulged and replaced after a week's ownership during preparation. Foolishly kept rear on.
End of Day 4 N of Preston, 6:15, an hour to go, noise (wheel rotation frequency): tyre had similar bulge. Turned off into Garstang. Bike shop closed (by then), but on asking, a garage on the A6 had a cycle shop 'annex' so rode there. Choice of £10 no name or a Marathon plus; chose latter. Mega struggle to get on. But rubbing on guard, because of course the M+ is about 5mm deeper/higher profile for 28. Couldn't solve. Finished rubbing ride to overnight (Lancaster) in dusk's gloom, and pulled off guard that night, before a 7am start for the 'longest day': 227km to Sanquar (heading for Arran and thence Kintyre).
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/8592623

Last edited:

jay clock

Massive member
1 sending the food parcels not needed in my view. ample opportunity to buy stuff with calories in
2 this guy is lovely and very helpful http://www.johnogroatsbiketransport.co.uk
3 Hertz do one way rental to Wick. A Corsa will be fine

OP
OP
S

Spikeb87

Regular
1 sending the food parcels not needed in my view. ample opportunity to buy stuff with calories in
2 this guy is lovely and very helpful http://www.johnogroatsbiketransport.co.uk
3 Hertz do one way rental to Wick. A Corsa will be fine

1 - Agreed now I have given it some thought. Took this from some peoples thread that I had read a while back and thought it was a good idea. Mind now changed.
2 - Yes, have been speaking to them to see, a very viable option but at the moment due to Covid they don't do shared rides, so would be upwards of £250 for Inverness to JOG.
3 - This is an option. about 470 miles for me so not the best prep to do the day before setting off, but possible.

Cheers

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
A few ferries to coordinate between Ardrossan and Fort William but probably worth it for the scenery.
I wanted to have 'ferries' as a theme and had taken the Padstow-Rock ferry across the Camel estuary on D1.
Planned to take the Mersey Ferry too, but was a time sink and expensive.
Ended D5 within striking distance of Ardrossan (82km @ Sanquar) for a midday ferry onto Arran. To far to catch the next ferry from Lochranza but made the hard climb over civilised as opposed to a sweat fest and had an hour + exploring around Lochranza: recommended and there's a YH there.
Again ended D6 within striking distance of Oban (for Mull) and then from Craignure hammered it to Fishnish (and 'beat the bus' and caught the ferry to Lochaline). Then N and across the Corran Narrows ferry. There is a foot ferry/boat from Camusnagaul opposite Fort William but too infrequent, low capacity so risk too great.
Would have liked to go via Tobermory and across to Kilchoan but timescales did not allow: I had visited the Ardnamurchan peninsula in my schooldays and Moidart is wild and beautiful - got there on the West Highlands 1000 a few years later.

Last edited:
Would have liked to go via Tobermory and across to Kilchoan but timescales did not allow: I had visited the Ardnamurchan peninsula in my schooldays and Moidart is wild and beautiful - got there on the West Highlands 1000 a few years later.
I was going to mention that as the VERY scenic (but a little longer) option. Less rush for the ferry too. The road from Kilchoan to Acharacle is one of the most stunning in the UK.
It also gives you the option of a diversion to Ardnamurchan to "bag" the most-Westerly point of the British mainland, if that floats your boat :P

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
1 - Agreed now I have given it some thought. Took this from some peoples thread that I had read a while back and thought it was a good idea. Mind now changed.
2 - Yes, have been speaking to them to see, a very viable option but at the moment due to Covid they don't do shared rides, so would be upwards of £250 for Inverness to JOG.
3 - This is an option. about 470 miles for me so not the best prep to do the day before setting off, but possible.

Cheers
Re (3), we effectively did this in reverse. One way car hire to Penzance which is similar mileage. That afternoon/evening we did Penzance - LE - Penzance and then set off from Penzance the following morning.

You could one way hire to Wick and then just ride Wick - JoG - Wick that afternoon/evening. Then leave Wick the next morning so you've go the long drive out of your legs and a little warm up ride already done

Top Bottom