John Hurt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The
Does it have to be a question of one winner? Does every orchestral performance end like that?
Well, two winners according to the BAFTAs.

The point you appear to be missing is that, in an ensemble performance, the combined result is the important thing not the individual's contributions.

I never said it wasn't a combined effort. Any theatrical performance has to be a combined effort by definition but there are sometimes stand out performances and actors, being competitive, strive to give their best to win awards and acclaim. Maybe its not important to you the viewer but it is to them.

Last edited:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Oh FFS, give it a bleedin' rest.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I thought he was miscast as Caligula in I Claudius. Caligula was still a young man by the time he was despatched.

So was John Hurt 40+ years ago to be fair; certainly came across as a young man in the role. A brilliant portrayal deeply unpleasant character yet totally believable and subtle so that he didn't come over as the villain so to speak. As others have said, Sian Phillips also superb, as was Brian Blessed's quite measured performance as Augustus. Jacobi wasn't bad either !

Top Bottom