John Hurt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Looking through his list of credits on IMDb, he was in an awful lot of films, most of which I haven't seen - and a lot of them look pretty mediocre so I probably won't ever bother.

Notwithstanding that, as others have said, he was a reliably fine actor, regardless of the overall merits of any film he was in.

Tbh, I think of him more as a stage actor than a screen actor - his performance in Krapp's Last Tape is rightly considered definitive.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I don't think I ever saw him turn in a bad performance, He was good fun in 44 inch chest and Rob Roy." I'll have my factor call upon your factor"

I almost bumped into him once down Shaftesbury Avenue, we were walking towards each other late one night and did that thing where you both step aside the same way to avoid each other and do it twice. ( there's a thing in the book "Meaning of Liff" for that) We smiled and went on our way.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very sad, such a talented and multi facetted actor. Very difficult to say which was my favourite but the BBC's Naked Civil Servant where he played a cross dressing homosexual Quentin Crisp was for me his tour de force with The Elephant Man coming a very close second.

This scene from The Naked Civil Servant is hilarious:

View: https://youtu.be/bJUxruAQdTE

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Very sad, such a talented and multi facetted actor. Very difficult to say which was my favourite but the BBC's Naked Civil Servant where he played a cross dressing homosexual Quentin Crisp was for me his tour de force with The Elephant Man coming a very close second.

This scene from The Naked Civil Servant is hilarious:

View: https://youtu.be/bJUxruAQdTE

"Anyone can get killed." :laugh:

Last edited:
  1. I wanted to come back here and praise The Naked Civil Servant but that is pretty thoroughly covered since I last dropped into this thread
  2. We should celebrate Hurt's sacrifice that will make as many people as possible (re)watch 1984. Everyone in the US should watch this movie or read the novel. And also, the rest of us.
  3. 10 Rillington Place
  4. A Man For All Season

Top Bottom