Joining a full time club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I looked at joining a bike club for the exercise, tech help and social side but their web site said that you need to have a minimum of 22 miles per hour fitness level ! Put me off that did. As i've said before I do a 25 mile run 3 times a week at present at an average of 18 mph so it would be like NEVER when I reach that level! having said that just bought spd clips and specialized shoes to fit so who knows !!
Sounds more like a race team than a club to me, who was it?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I looked at joining a bike club for the exercise, tech help and social side but their web site said that you need to have a minimum of 22 miles per hour fitness level ! Put me off that did. As i've said before I do a 25 mile run 3 times a week at present at an average of 18 mph so it would be like NEVER when I reach that level! having said that just bought spd clips and specialized shoes to fit so who knows !!

Was that for a training ride/chaingang or for a normal clubrun? Did they not offer intro rides and intermediate rides?

Probably a more racing focussed club but even so, racing clubs tend to accommodate slower riders down to a point.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Hope the rude reply didn't/hasn't put you off.
If you are still looking for a club, may I suggest you take a look at your local CTC Section.
To find it, go to www.ctc.org.uk, there should be a link to take you to your nearest.
Try a few rides with different sections; its free & CTC members are a friendly bunch.
(If you like it, you are encouraged to join, & told about all the other benefits you will gain.)

antonypo

Regular
I dont know which club. I just googled cycle clubs in Cheshire. You may have a point about it being a race club though - never thought of that. Will look at the ctc web - thanks fatmac

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
who said that? not my lot...

Sittingduck

Legendary Member

What does the website say, exactly? I find it hard to believe that they are suggesting an average speed minimum of 22mph. Would have thought it would be more likely suggesting that you can hold 22mph on the flat, in a group? Of course, I may be wrong...

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I don't know of any club's in Cheshire that have such a high entry requirement. We don't have any formal entry requirement that I am aware of, intro rides are 15mph average (over a 35 mile, flat profile).

Where in Cheshire are you looking for a club? There are loads of clubs around.

antonypo

Regular
I live in Wincham near Northwich. As I said it was a few months ago and can't remember which one. i sent an email after searching the internet for cheshire cycle clubs and just picked one. it could be as suggested by someone that this was for racing clubs????? Anyway looking forward to some info.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Bit far out for our club unless you drive or like to add about 30 miles or more onto every ride (although the 21mph training rides start in Ashley which is only 10 mile away for you). Same with Macc Wheelers, unless you can drive out to the meeting points? In which case both clubs would cater for your ability. Additionally, there are many other clubs toward Manchester City centre and the suburbs.

However even around your local, there should be at least a few healthy clubs around the area. Most clubs will have a racing scene, some have a stronger focus than others so it is possible you contacted a very race focussed club, or they maybe even misunderstood your message to mean training rides rather than club run's etc. Even a racing club should accommodate someone with an average speed of 18mph, it is the clubs interest to help people progress and the stronger riders can help the weaker riders to progress, whether that means a stronger rider droping back to pace a weaker rider back into the group on a club ride if they get blown out, giving them a helping push up a hill (this had happened to me, I found myself going backwards in the group very quickly on a short sharp incline when I was totally spent, I then felt a hand on my lower back and suddenly found myself going forward, then it happened again, instead of letting me go out the back, 2 stronger riders had both given me a shove to help me) or giving them training tips etc.

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
antonypo,
If you haven't got fixed up then try Weaver Valley CC. I think they are based in Northwich.
There is also the North Cheshire Clarion. They are based in Warrington but cover a wide area. I've done one of their audax rides and they are a friendly welcoming bunch. They cover a wide variety of disciplines so something for everyone.

Top Bottom