Joining the 'single speed project' gang

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
SimonJKH

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
Okay, as a first step in this adventure, I've stripped the frame as far as I think I need to.
image.jpe

See? I've been busy.

But I've already come across my first 'issue'....

The bottom bracket. It certainly seems knackered, so it'll have to go. But I can't work out what to replace it with. It doesn't look like any of the BBs in my copy of Zinn.
This is what I took out of the bike:-
image-1.jpe

Writing on one end says 'Campagnolo 1.370" x 24 TPI. Other end (lock ring) says 7N16.

So what is this? Do I need to find the same thing, or will more modern units fit? If so, which?
All help gratefully received!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
You can replace with a new BB but you need to measure the width across the shell. See here if you can put up with the annoying bloke (skip to 2:35 mins in) Your shell will either be 68 or 73 wide. A UN 55 BB should suffice however then you need to consider spindle length which will have an effect with the chain line

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Okay, as a first step in this adventure, I've stripped the frame as far as I think I need to.
image.jpe

See? I've been busy.

But I've already come across my first 'issue'....

The bottom bracket. It certainly seems knackered, so it'll have to go. But I can't work out what to replace it with. It doesn't look like any of the BBs in my copy of Zinn.
This is what I took out of the bike:-
image-1.jpe

Writing on one end says 'Campagnolo 1.370" x 24 TPI. Other end (lock ring) says 7N16.

So what is this? Do I need to find the same thing, or will more modern units fit? If so, which?
All help gratefully received!
If its not too damaged give it a good clean and new bearings it is after all an old (quality) campag BB

OP
OP
SimonJKH

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
See here if you can put up with the annoying bloke
Woah, you weren't kidding. And check his crazy hair!
BUT... quite a bit of good info in there, so thanks for the link. I had already measured a couple of things. I had the shell measured at 63, but I guess its 68 and I mis-read it. I'll check! And the axle measures 120ish. But if I'm going from two chainrings to single speed, I'll want slightly smaller, right?

If its not too damaged give it a good clean and new bearings it is after all an old (quality) campag BB
Well I'll keep hold of it so I can try that in the future, but might be a bit out of my comfort zone right now!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Yes if you are going to single chainring then you will need a shorter spindle. For example on mine I went to 108 but that was also fitting a track chainset. Is it an old double chainset you are using but without one of the rings ? As it happens I have an older UN BB with a 108 spindle waiting to go into one of my bikes so if you wanted you could borrow this to see if that fitted OK before going out and buying one ?

OP
OP
SimonJKH

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
Aha! I see what you mean now.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just watch the threadding on the replacement Bottom Bracket. Could be British or Italian being a Campag BB originally. I would get the LBS to check first. You also need to be wary if re-using the cranks as well as all square tapers are not the same, there is JIS (most Japanese stuff) and ISO - Italian.

OP
OP
SimonJKH

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
Time for an update on what I've achieved. I acquired a pile of bits and pieces and whacked them together. This is what I came up with:-
image-2.jpe

After the CycleChat velodrome taster session, I decided I liked the feel of 'fixed' and that is the route I took. So I started off with a 'cheap as chips' wheel set from eBay. Rear was a perfect fit for my 120mm OLD stays. It is a flip-flop hub and I have whacked a cheap Dicta free wheel on t'other side, but so far I haven't even been tempted to try it. Matching front wheel looks very nice, but it has a straight-through axle and I discovered that these forks wouldn't take anything bigger than a QR skewer. So what you see here is the original front wheel from my Triban 3. It works fine but at some point I will convert the matching wheel to QR skewer as this wheel has a LOT of miles on it. Crank is also a 'cheapest on eBay' job. I don't really like it, and it arrived badly warped so I had to bend it back to flatness. I'll change it at some point I hope. After trying a couple of Shimano sealed units in the bottom bracket case I wasn't happy with how they fit, so I did indeed clean and re-lube the original campag bb that I removed. It seems to be running fine. Chain is KMC - accept no substitutes :thumbsup: - but the welded-on rear-mech hanger means that the rear drop-outs aren't as long as they once were, so I had to use a half-link to get usable chain-length. Seems to still run smooth though! Pedals are good old m520s. Brakes are Tektro long drop callipers. I had to order a second set once I realised that unless I wanted to start drilling holes in the frame (I did not!) I needed a 'nutted' fit. They work fine now. Brake cables are new inners (Wilkinsons finest!) with the original outers, as they were already cut to length and I am a lazy man! Saddle is a black charge spoon, courtesy of @jowwy OTP - thanks for that, I love it! Ummm... bar-tape is Deda, tyres are again the ones supplied with a Triban 3 and will need replacing soon!

image-2-1.jpe
image-1-1.jpe

As you see it here it weighs in at about 25.5lbs. I have already put a bunch of miles on it in this configuration - both leisure and commuting - and I blumming love it! I've even set a few PBs on segments I've done many times on geared bikes, so I must be doing something right :wahhey:
Ok, when the next CC 100 mile fixed ride? :bicycle:

Top Bottom