Joining worktop. No room underneath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Hi all. Father and I are fitting a new kitchen. The worktop join in the corner is a corner of 3m x 3m. Normally would use the supplied countersunk joining brackets underneath, but their position is directly above the corner of a carcass.

Can we join them up first, tighten them and the lay the worktop? Only other thing I can think of is join them with dowels and glue. Dad wants to use one of those metal joining strips but I think they look awful in a 7 grand kitchen.

TIA

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Yes you can join them before pushing into place. Often you can simply slide them a little to one side whilst staying on the carcases to ensure they stay flat.

I use dowels or biscuits in the joint as well as it seems to make the vertical alignment more predictable, but others prefer to have the ability to hammer them in to perfect vertical alignment whilst being tightened.

Your Dad is clearly a philistine.

CXRAndy

Guru
Get a Trend router worktop jig. A few 50mm long 12mm shank router bits.

Cut the joining surfaces to match, biscuit and glue the joints. You can elevate both panels to allow the biscuits to slot in both sides then lower carefully to align the top surfaces.

It looks so easy when you have a confident joiner working with you;)

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If these are proper mitred joints with a dogbone routed on the underside, they are very hard to do unless you've had a lot of practice.

Top Bottom