Jon Snow / London VeliB-oris -R4 half an hour ago.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Defy78

Hang on, how come everybody seems to be condeming Jon Snow based on a Daily Mail article? I mean if ever a paper was known for it's anti-cycling standpoint....All you have is a "journalist's" word and some dodgy pictures taken out of context with inflammatory statements next to them (ok the mobile use is bad but still not illegal). Correct me if I am wrong but none of us know where the pics were taken or the situation they were taken in, whether the lights were actually red when Mr. Snow rolled through them or whether the pavements were dual use etc. In one of the pics I can see a cycling route sign in the background!?! I just can't believe that people are taking the Daily Mail for their word without any proper evidence...

dondare

Über Member
It's what he himself said on the radio (post no. 2) which places his position as a suitable representative for Britain's cyclists in doubt, rather than the ambiguous photos and prejudiced article in the DM.

OP
OP
sunnyjim

sunnyjim

It's what he himself said on the radio (post no. 2) which places his position as a suitable representative for Britain's cyclists in doubt, rather than the ambiguous photos and prejudiced article in the DM.

Of course if he *really* cycles as portrayed by the DM, it could explain why he finds it so dangerous and needs to be agressive..

mark barker

Hang on, how come everybody seems to be condeming Jon Snow based on a Daily Mail article? I mean if ever a paper was known for it's anti-cycling standpoint....All you have is a "journalist's" word and some dodgy pictures taken out of context with inflammatory statements next to them (ok the mobile use is bad but still not illegal). Correct me if I am wrong but none of us know where the pics were taken or the situation they were taken in, whether the lights were actually red when Mr. Snow rolled through them or whether the pavements were dual use etc. In one of the pics I can see a cycling route sign in the background!?! I just can't believe that people are taking the Daily Mail for their word without any proper evidence...
As with most situations like this, its not about what happened, its about the publics perception of what happened. Innocence and guilt rarely make any difference in the media...

Jezston

Über Member
But as the Guardian article says, reacting to the accusation by saying motorists are worse doesn't get us anywhere.

On another note, it was nice that The Metro printed cyclists reactions to the anticyclists rantings from friday today. Shame they didn't include my response - mine was best.

dondare

Über Member
But as the Guardian article says, reacting to the accusation by saying motorists are worse doesn't get us anywhere.

On another note, it was nice that The Metro printed cyclists reactions to the anticyclists rantings from friday today. Shame they didn't include my response - mine was best.

They didn't include mine either, and that was even better than yours. Perhaps.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
They didn't include mine either, and that was even better than yours. Perhaps.
They definitely didn't include the one I didn't write. It was breathtakingly witty and encompassed all the relevant points to win the "other" crowd over, and it was the best of the lot.

What are we talking about, BTW? :blush:

Sometimes I think, the DM ought to be taken outside and shot. If the DM were a person...

But then again, Jon Snow doesn't look the best man for the job, even if some of the DM stuff is fabricated. I feel a better choice would be someone from within the CTC organisation, rather than a celebrity. And would it be possible to have an all-members ballot?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Oh and, I'm not a member of the CTC, but is Jon Snow's position there now utterly compromised?

Can we really have a figurehead of the UK's largest cycling pressure group who is a total stereotype of everything cyclist-haters hate about cyclists?
would it help you to know that I am squirming with embarrassment?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Sometimes I think, the DM ought to be taken outside and shot. If the DM were a person...

But then again, Jon Snow doesn't look the best man for the job, even if some of the DM stuff is fabricated. I feel a better choice would be someone from within the CTC organisation, rather than a celebrity. And would it be possible to have an all-members ballot?

What's with this "sometimes"? The DM always ought to be taken outside and shot, just on general principles...

stowie

Legendary Member
So the Daily Wail follows around CTC president and produces some rather inconclusive pictures of him not fully obeying the highway code? Unless one elects a non-cyclist as president, the DM will try to scalp the president on any slow news day.

I would like to see Jon Snow tell them to f- off and go and harass the myriad of other groups in the UK with which the Daily Mail takes issue. The rag and its readers are unlikely to change their perception of cycling no matter what happens. Unless one hides in the gutter and tugs ones forelock whilst motorists go past, I doubt anything will change the Mails "War on the Cyclist" (maybe they consider us part of the axis of evil?)

Interesting thought that, if Jon Snow did jump all those lights, clearly the photographer was keeping up with him, and so surely jumped the lights as well? And in the ambulance picture, they say he failed to stop for it, yet clearly it is turning in front of him, so how did that happen? Load of BS from a newspaper even my backside is too highbrow to entertain.

Certainly some of the photos of red lights could have been taken as the lights turned red.

And the "pavement cycling" looks to me like he is just starting and stopping (which isn't good on its own, but isn't like the other problematic riders around).

Mobile call = no no.

In general - he is sounding like a bit of a prat...

+1

The mobile phone bit is the daftest, whilst not illegal it is, in my opinion, stupid and unnecessary.

The ambulance has plenty of room and the red lights and crossing too, any photographer will tell you how a long focal length effectively compresses perspective to make things appear closer than they are.

Not going to judge on the pavement riding to start and stop, as I do exactly the same, but perhaps someone in his position ought to strive to be whiter than white?

What's with this "sometimes"? The DM always ought to be taken outside and shot, just on general principles...
I meant, I think that thought sometimes. Anyway you can only take someone outside and shoot them once...

Unless one ... tugs ones forelock whilst motorists go past...
Didn't the AA and RAC patrolmen use to do just that, in the good ol' days when I were a lad and they were all on motorbikes? I seem to remember they had standing orders to salute any passing car bearing the requisite badge... :biggrin:

Nearly everyone has to traverse a pavement at some point in a journey, if only to gain access to a private drive or entrance. Whether one rides along the pavement to the nearest dropped kerb - as I sometimes do - or wheels the bike across the pavement and down onto the carriageway - as I do at other times - I don't think either is a matter of contention provided you don't upset other road or pavement users.

Some of the alleged 'RLJ' photo evidence is inconclusive because the rider is well past the stop line and, if he was progressing slowly, the lights could have changed after he passed.

There is also Photoshop. I'm sure DM hacks are well familiar with it... :evil:

Top Bottom